Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday 23.10: Metcon of hspu, pistols

Wednesday. Metcon, hspu 10 to 1, down by 1's, pistols 20 to 2, down by 2's. Time 12.26. Lots of mobility.

Today was time for bodyweight action. I was thinking between row intervals and this metcon that finale ended up to be the one. Couplet of handstand push-ups and pistol squats. Took about half an hour mobility and stretching session after the workout.




Metcon. Time 12.26
  • Handstand push-ups, 10 to 1, down by 1's
  • Pistols, 20 to 2, down by 2's

My butt and hamstrings were very sore from Monday's front squats. There were over 5.000kg squatted that day so it was no surprise some muscles were still feeling it. Still, I wanted to do pistols today and it turned out to be a good idea. On the first couple of reps my quads were cramping but after some more reps my legs were feeling normal again =) Did some handstand hold against a wall and a 2-3 hspu's before putting the clock running, 3-2-1 go.

In this workout there were 55 reps of hspu's and 110 pistols. Starting at 10 hspu's, 9 on the next round, then 8, down by 1 rep at a time until there's only 1 left. Same logic with pistols, except that I started at 20 reps and decreased 2 reps each round.

Handstand push-ups are rolling well! Did every round unbroken. Guess there was one round I fell of the wall due to balance but I went back up there right away. Very well done for me. The pistols were more challenging. Suppose I did well with them as well though. The rounds of 16 to 12 were the most challenging. Got through them and it started to get easier on the pistols. That point the last handstand push-ups started to come very heavy, at around round 5 on. There were just a couple of reps per round so I got through them as well.

The combination of handstand push-ups and pistols is somehow smart. Benchmark workout Mary is all about these two, added with pull-ups. Great workout to say the least. I enjoyed this training today. There are so few pistol squats in the programming so they are always welcomed. After metcon I rowed a little and did half an hour of mobility; some resistance band work, used lacrosse ball to release soft tissues in lower body, then traditional stretching.


Some scary squat numbers these guys have




No comments:

Post a Comment