Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tuesday 8.10: Clean and jerks, metcon with bro

Tuesday. Freestyling with clean & jerk + split jerk (PR 95kg, split jerk PR 100kg). Pair wod with bro: 5 rounds of: 300m run, 5 clean & jerks (60kg), max effort double unders while the other partner runs.

Training day with my older brother! These days tend to be heavy in nature. My shoulders were smoked after we left the building. So was Sipa's. In other words: great training!!! We did some sort of clean & jerk complex, single clean & jerks and split jerks. Finished the training with a pair wod, running, c&j and double unders.

PR BABY!!!

Strength. Going by feeling

  • Started with 2 cleans + 3 jerks (including warm-up: 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90kg), then
  • Clean & jerk (PR 95kg, failed on 100kg), then
  • Split jerk from rack (PR 100kg)


We started by doing a complex of 2 squat cleans + 2 push / split jerks. The goal was to go as heavy as possible doing this type of complex. Other option would have been simple and old school singles. But we wanted something different. After the barbell got too heavy, I decided to do singles. End result was that I completed 2 personal records: clean & jerk with 95kg and 100kg jerk.





It was light in the beginning for sure. Tried to do warm-up with bear walk and by using resistance band. Then some barbell work and I started working towards clean & jerks. Started with light weight, moving up together with my brother. 2 hang squat cleans up to 70kg, then 2 jerks. On 80kg I did a hang squat clean but the second rep failed so I repeated it from ground. Went up to 85kg, completed it and decided to go for 90kg. I dropped the bar after the first clean but finished it till the end with 2 split jerks.





Next stop, 95kg. Clean, failed, what? Why would I fail on a clean at 95kg? This wasn't the best of my clean days. That was clear to me already earlier on. My technique wasn't as explosive as it needs to be. I was able to pull the bar at a decent hight but I wasn't going under it fast enough. I still got good results which is of course encouraging. Took the 95kg again and completed it nicely.

Tried to clean 100kg once but as it failed I decided to put the bar on the rack and jerk it from there. I was confident enough to get the bar up. As you see from the video my legs are not doing the job they were created for, not going under the bar as fiercely as would be smart. But that's the way it is when you're handling weights that are on the limits of your strength. This was definitely somewhere around there and the main point is that I got the hundred kilos up in the sky!!!





Pair wod.

  • Partner 1: 300m run
  • Partner 2: complete 5 clean & jerks (60kg), then max effort double unders while partner 1 runs 300m
  • Result. 300 double unders (60 each round)

As if our shoulders weren't smashed already, we created a pair wod on the go with Sipa. The other one runs for 300m (back and forth 150m), and the other one has that time to complete 5 clean & jerks with 60kg and the remaining time as many reps as possible of double unders.




My double unders were good today. Completed 60 reps each round, total of 300 reps in the workout. I did 20 reps on average per set. Completing double unders after having ran for 300m and completing 5 unbroken c&j's right after it was a bit challenging. It would have been nice to breath every once in a while… =) Good breather!

We both completed the clean & jerks unbroken. Both of our shoulders were in pain already before the workout so you can probably imagine the feelings in the middle of the workout. Still, I'm glad we nailed it unbroken. Had to take a pause before starting the double unders.






My brother did similar training with me. As I arrived, he was holding 70kg overhead and he was squatting like there was a feather above him. He soon went to 80kg (current PR) and finally did 85kg, a new PR. Looked good! He also tried to go for 90kg but he failed to lock out the bar overhead. Great results bro!

All in all, this was a great training day! And these days with Sipa tend to bring in quite a burden on the body. Enjoyed every minute of it!



3 comments:

  1. These training session are awesome!! Every time PRs are nailed even It's not the main purpose.
    I'm Still wondering why I didn't lift new pr in c&j;) but anyway I'm extremely satisfied because of OHS and hang clean!!

    -Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pony! You are correct bro, PR's are done when brothers meet for strengh training purposes haha =) We realized that you were close to c&j pr but that was too late. Let's crash it next time.

    I added a recap video of the training day

    ReplyDelete