Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday 7.10: Diane, rowing metcon

Monday. Benchmark workout Diane. Time 9.47. Metcon, 4 rounds of: 500m row, 25 push-ups. Time 12.02

I've been training handstand push-ups like a maniac lately. Wanted to put myself to test and see has all the training paid off or have I worked in vain. Could there be a better benchmark workout as Diane? Lots of hspu's and especially, lots of reps in a row. Huge test. I had a break and took another metcon of rowing and push-ups.



Diane. Time 9.47.

  • 21-15-9
  • Deadlift, 102.5kg
  • Handstand push-ups


Yeah baby! Compare to previous Diane, done in June. In 4 months my time was cut from 16.02 to 9.47, that's way over 6 minutes, c'mon!!! Those endless amounts of hspu's in the past couple of months have really been worth it. Especially in September I did over 300 reps.

Had some doubts about my strategy. I knew my hspu's are much stronger nowadays and I should be able to nail multiple reps in a row. However, I also know that once shoulders / triceps go fatigue, it's difficult to get them recovered. So I couldn't decided on my tactic on this one and decided to go by feeling. Listen to my body and hope it gets me where I needed to get.

Deadlift was light weight stuff and thus didn't create any probs. 102.5kg should fly up and it did. It got breathing go heavier so that was the downside of it. But my muscles were able to move the barbell like it should move. I think of this workout like it's 45 hspu's with short break in between sets.




The result is made on the hspu's. I did 10 reps on the first attempt, then 5+3+3. It took me 3.20 to finish the first round. On the second round I believe I did 6+4+3+2, or something alike. At least 6 reps on the first try. Time was about 6.20 as I was done with the round of 15's. The last round was something like 4+2+2+1.

Don't know, maybe I could have pushed a little more on the hspu's. I was afraid of them putting my shoulders in unbearable flames that is hard to overcome. So I believe I was holding back a little on the rounds of 21's and 15's. In the final round I was all in. Of course my shoulders were feeling it definitely from the beginning to the end but the muscle pain was tolerable. It got me thinking whether I could have pushed it a bit more. Anyway, I was super happy on the result!!!

Hannu on push press


Metcon. Time 12.02

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 25 push-ups


Did another metcon to get all my juice flowing in the body. Rowing and push-ups. Thought I've never done this type of workout. Until I checked my Diane from March. I happened to complete identical workout with 2 rounds, today I did 4 rounds: 2k row and 100 push-ups. Those push-ups aren't really my thing, I'm not that strong in the movement and I had to break each set. Guess those hspu's also had their influence. On the row I went at approximately 1.50 pace all the way. This workout was not all in type of action, more like "for completion". Liked the program anyway, good combination of 2 simple movements. Definitely worth doing another time.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go workout with my bro, hopefully. He had a slight incident today with the barbells as weights dropped on his foot so hopefully he's in shape tomorrow.

I had a friend today at the gym, Hannu, doing strength training. He had a good attitude, completing 3 different emom trainings. That's a tough one. Think about it: push press emom for 10 min, back squat emom for 10min and finishing with 10 min emom with thrusters. That's a lot of reps for strength! You'll see a video of him doing presses up there.




No comments:

Post a Comment