Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wednesday 2.10: Eccentric squats, metcon

Wednesday. Eccentric squats 5x8. Metcon, 10 to 1, down by 1's: wall climb, t2b, box jump.

Do those squats man. Did it in a different way, eccentric squats was the name of the thing today. 5 sets to make legs burn and finish the training with pure pain on the metcon. Haven't done wall climbs in a long time and today I did 55 of them, accompanied with toes-to-bar's and box jumps. Good training session!




Strength. Eccentric squats 5x8 (60, 80, 90, 100, 100kg). There's one beast that I follow in Instagram: Kendrick J. Farris, go check it out. You won't be disappointed. The guy is a freaking beast, US olympic weight lifter. His loads are incredible and technique is perfect. From him I got the inspiration to do this type of squats, goal is to increase overall strength on hamstrings and give different type of stimulation to legs.

On eccentric squats the point is to lower yourself with slow pace, hit the bottom and bounce back up with good speed. That means you have to use strength all the time when going down. That's why I thought the weights would be smaller. Had no idea of how this would compare to regular weights. Did higher rep sets, 8 reps per set.


Mr. Farris




I actually liked the type of squats I did today. Going down with slow pace made me focus on my stance and knees a lot. Had plenty of time to think how to push my knees out properly to find a hole to sit on. the depth of the squats was definitely good, it felt very comfortable to do those squats.

I started with light weights because as I wrote earlier, had no idea how much weight I could carry in these slow motion squats. Added to 80kg, then 90, finally did 2 sets with 100kg. That actually felt like a good measure, could have done all sets around 100kg. And it felt me feel good that I was squatting 8 reps each set, especially with this type of squat that is more consuming than regular squat.




Metcon. For completion
  • 10 to 1, down by 1's
  • Wall climb
  • Toes-to-bar
  • Box jump, 61cm
Total of 55 reps each movement. Starting at 10 reps, decreasing the number of reps each round, going down by 1 rep each round. That means 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 each movement. The 'thing' was obviously the wall climbs. Those were horrible after first round =) T2B's and box jumps were pretty much the rest period, just go through them and focus on wall climbs.

The movement standard says your chest have to hit ground on the bottom position and chest must touch the wall on the other end. Don't have any idea how many reps I did each round, I only remember they were tough, a lot of work had to be done. Ny triceps and shoulders were in agony. And it felt like it's not gonna end like ever.

Didn't have a clock running. No reason for that, only a sign of laziness. I was already on the ground, my chest on the floor and decided to start the wall climbs. Then I thought what the heck, no need for the clock running. Went through the workout in as quickly as possible though. Didn't give myself any slack. This one was a rough one. Beforehand I thought it wouldn't be as challenging as it turned out to be. Great one, have to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment