Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday 13.10: Muscle-up skills, rowing metcon + handstand skills

Sunday. AM: Skills, bar muscle-ups. Metcon, 5 rds of: 10 hspu, 15 k2e, 500m row. PM: Handstand skills training.

Time for some bodyweight training. Took two training sessions today. In the morning we worked together with Pauliina, I concentrated in skills plus a metcon, and after having done some furniture shopping with my baby I did another skills session for handstand. This was the first time I did bar muscle-ups in my home gym to start the training. There isn't much space between the pull-up bar and the wall so it was much more challenging in this place. Got those reps done anyway, happy about that.



Metcon.

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 15 knees-to-elbow
  • 500m row

The goal of this workout? To work on my engine, my hspu skills and grip strength on the pull-up bar. Rowing as an element in a metcon is cruel. After you have rowed something like 1k, it starts to get to entire body. Legs are burning, breathing is heavy and forearms / upper body starts to go numb. Today I started to have these feelings on the third round. It's awesome tool to build on that engine within you. As a crossfitter, I should always be looking to improve on my breathing, lung capacity and ability to keep on moving even though it feels sick in my body. Rowing is perfect for that purpose.





On those knees-to-elbows (k2e) my goal was to do the sets unbroken. I've done sets of 10 reps lately in all metcons, in both k2e's and toes-to-bar. So I wanted to add some reps and try to keep my head together for holding on to the pull-up bar and keep moving. And it turned out that I got them unbroken, not bad. Looking to include these in training 'cause I believe I must be able to complete multiple sets of 20 reps.






The last movement: handstand push-ups. Been working a lot of them this early autumn. Still, had no idea it would turn out to go this well: every set of 10 reps unbroken!!! C'mon, that's crazy! Did them kipping style because there were such a big number waiting to be done. Total of 50 reps. Went something like 6-7 reps in a row each set, then held a short break in the bottom position and pushed it through to get the remaining reps.






Handstand skills. In the early evening I went to do a second training set, focused purely on handstand skills. Haven't had the chance to practice on this one in the previous weeks and I'm a bit scared what will happen during the winter months. Hopefully I'll find a place where I can keep on working on this skills as I do not master it in the way I'd like to, not yet, I will though!




Worked on both staying in a handstand position as still as possible plus also moving forward. Had some successful sets and too many attempts where I fell short too early. This skill seems to be one that yo must keep on schedule continuously.




I'm done!


2 comments:

  1. Pace on the row was something like this:

    First 2 rounds, 1.43-1.44
    Third round: 1.47
    Fourth and fifth round: 1.54-1.57

    ReplyDelete
  2. Workouts of the day looked good! Br, Kari

    ReplyDelete