Friday, December 12, 2014

Friday 12.12: Front squat, Push jerk

Friday. Front squat, 7x5 (105kg). Technique, push jerk, light weight.

Friday was not dedicated to hardcore crossfit action. I focused on strengthening lower body through front squats and then played around with the barbell a little more. Just kept it light and aimed to look for explosiveness. This was enough for me for today. Then some mobility in the end for hips and back.



Strength.
  • Front squat 7x5 (105kg)
It's awesome to get that barbell on front rack position and squat. This used to be my favorite move, and still I get the vibes of it. I'm using some sort of Smolov programming for front squat currently. Not that disciplined but somehow following that system.

This weight is something I need to concentrate on when I squat but still it's a weight that I can manhandle pretty well. It feels heavier when it's being lifted off the rack but once I get down, it's more comfortable. That's a little awkward =)

Anyway, it was 7 sets of 5 reps this Friday. All sets at 105kg. Last time it was 5x7 @ 100kg so now it was more sets, more weight but less reps. Felt good about the weights. Take a look at the 5th set below.

5th set at 105kg


Technique.
  • Push jerk, 3x40, 40, 50, 50, 60, 70, 50, 50kg
This was not heavy at all. Basically light weight and the main goal here was to be explosive and fast on every single lift, no matter the weight. I started with very light load at 40kg, and took triples pretty much all the way. Actually the last 2 sets were 5 reps but who's counting. I believe I was very fast compared to my normal speed under the bar. That's still not quick but for me it was.


This was good practice for this specific purpose. Weights felt like feathers and that was the point all the way. It was cool to get the bar moving as it should. Jerks should not be presses by all means. This time I felt like I was able to lock out instantly and drop under the bar at the same time. Good good




No comments:

Post a Comment