Saturday, December 20, 2014

Saturday 20.12: Winter War III, Mainsite

Saturday. Winter War III. Mainsite workout, 1.000m row, 50 db ohs, 750m row, 35 db ohs, 500m row, 20 db ohs. Time, 18.06

Front squats were supposed to be in my program anyway today so I thought why not throw down for the Winter War qualification workout number III. Winter War is the unofficial pursuit to find Finland's fittest man and woman. There are 3 workouts after which we'll find out who are the top 40 to fight for the spot on the podium in February 2015. After this workout I took on one mainsite wod from couple of weeks ago, had to modify it a bit. It was a good kick in the ass.




Winter War III.
  • Every 90 seconds, perform 3 front squats
  • Weights: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 150…200kg
  • Tie breaker: the amount of deadlifts within the time cap
  • 2min rest
  • During 3min time cap, max effort of 5 attempts of handstand. Result is the combined time of all 5 attempts
  • Result, 2x130kg front squat + 14 deadlift. Handstand, 5x10-20sec holds
Let's start with that my one rep max is 135kg. This almost emom style method here brings its own twist. Time to recover becomes an issue at the heaviest weights. I was looking to hit 120kg for a triple, I've done that once in my life. Having done squats like a maniac the last couple of months seemed to pay off in this workout.


Front squats


The first couple of sets were warm-up stuff. First heavy-ish loads appeared somewhere around 110kg. I'm not sure, maybe earlier. After 115kg I felt like now it's my time to shine. First rep in every set felt great, second was not that comfy anymore, and the third one was pure agony. At least in the 115+ sets.

I'm very happy on the kilos being moved here, went over by goals. 2x130kg was sick. That second reps was so tough that I knew a third would be an outrageous move to go after. Decided to drop the bar and finish it with deadlifts at the same weight. Got 14 reps before the 90sec window ended my work.


It took me 16:30 to finish the squats. There was a prescribed 2min rest period to get my shit together and get ready for handstand. It's been at least 2 months since I've tried the entire movement. That's because my wrist was so messed up for quite a while. Today I did zero attempts before the actual workout, I just went by feeling. It was a 5 attempt effort of which the total accumulated time was calculated, and that's your result.

I took actually 6 attempts because I thought it was the 5 best of all your attempts during that 3min time frame. Well, anyway that didn't change anything, all of my efforts were pretty similar. After the workout it was a slight disappointment as I walked to the camera just to witness my memory card was full…….. So I don't have the exact times of each of the attempts but I promise you they were something between 10 and 15 seconds on each attempt. Once I remembered checking the timer as I took off and once I landed, and it showed 16 seconds. And all those sets were similar in nature. I nailed this one well considering my expectations. One thing is for sure, I didn't tape 1 meter square so I won't promise I stayed within the required area.

Don't know but I guess my results are probably far off the leaderboard but I'm doing this for myself. Otherwise I would be competing. And I'm very happy on being able to get those weights moving and also handstand rocked pretty well.



Mainsite. Time, 18.06
  • 1.000m row
  • 50 dumbbell 1-hand overhead squat, 12.5kg
  • 750m row
  • 35 dumbbell 1-hand overhead squat, 12.5kg
  • 500m row
  • 20 dumbbell 1-hand overhead squat, 12.5kg
Originally this was identical except those dumbbell overhead squats were squat snatches with dumbbells. I tried those and couldn't quite find the mobility to get below parallel. I had troubles with these overhead squats too. For some reason it's more difficult with 1-arm dumbbells than barbell ohs.



And I had baby weights anyway. Rx'd it was 20kg but the movement was not so comfortable that I had to go light on the move. Still, I completed it with 5 reps at a time. Looks awkward on paper but that's all I could fight through. This was nasty stuff. Ended up at 18 minutes of grinding. Definitely a weakness of mine those dumbbell movements.






No comments:

Post a Comment