Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wednesday 3.11: Snatch, Row, Hspu

Wednesday. Hang squat snatch technique. Emom x 8min: 1 hang squat snatch (50kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 500m row, 10 hspu, 20 db snatch (20kg).

Today I went to the gym early in the morning, and then to work until evening. Because there was plenty of quality time at the gym I had planned to do olympic lifts. My current focus is on snatch style working, to get the movement patterns more natural and to acquire better technique. I worked on this skill for at least an hour. Then hit a metcon of rowing, hspu's and db snatch. It took me 2 hours to work through things. Good session.



Snatch.
  • Burgener warm-up
  • Hang squat snatch, light weight
  • Every minute on the minute x 8: one hang squat snatch per min (50kg)
I'm loving it on the new warm-up routines. For some reason I've ignored this for over 2 years even though this stuff is legendary. It just hit me lately. There was a dark era of snatches. I couldn't see the future very bright some time ago. But those Smolov squats improved my hip area mobility (and somehow also shoulder mobility simultaneously) and enabled me to overhead squat like never before. This led to me trying snatch and snatch balance type of elements. And I've seen it very appealing so I'll try to fix some technical issues here and improve mobility further so that I could do deep ohs in a similar way as in squat clean.

I took a few sets between 30-50kg hang squat snatches, aiming to hit it rock bottom on the squat. That's not easy and I definitely didn't find it just like that. I know there's a possibility of getting there but somehow I break it on the way down. That's probably a mobility issue so I unconsciously push against gravity. On the other hand I know I can get there. Sometimes the bar goes too much forward and then it's difficult to go deep.

After working a lot with lighter weights I put the timer on and completed an 8min emom of hang squat snatches, 1 rep at a time with 50kg. I want to and need to get natural with this movement. Building up the base.



Metcon.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 10 handstand push-up
  • 20 dumbbell snatch, 20kg
At some point during those snatches I realized I have zero pain in my right wrist. It's been bothering for I don't know, maybe a month? First I couldn't do pretty much anything with it but then little by little it's gotten better and better. This was my time to shine on the handstand push-ups! No pain at all, this was huge!



Rowing for half a kilometer, then 10 hspu's. First I thought this would be a good couplet but those dumbbells caught my attention and one had to be picked up, 20 reps, dividing it equally to both hands. On the first round I went alternating, then the remaining rounds were 5-5-5-5, changing hand after each 5 reps.

Recap




Pace on the rower was sub 1.50. On the first round it was close to 1.45 but then on the latter rounds at about 1.49-1.50. Hspu's went unbroken every round. And I'm telling you, they were light! Those felt like I could continue forever =) I'm sure a new record of unbroken reps would have been in the books had I tried it. Well, now it's just talk but the point is those felt awesome. Very happy on being able to do them.



No comments:

Post a Comment