Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tuesday 16.12: Squats, Box, Hspu

Tuesday. Strength, front squat 4x9 (100kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 5 back squat (100kg), 8 box, 11 hspu. Time, 13.13.

Second "management day" in a row this week. That meant a lot of sitting still and listening to different people talking stuff. In other words, my ass was numb already in the midway. Maybe not the ideal approach to a squat day but a man's got to do what a man's got to do. And that is to squat! Metcon afterwards was heavy.



Strength.
  • Front squat 4x9 (across 100kg)
All sets at 100kg. First time ever doing this many front squats at 100kg. Those started to feel nasty after 5-6 reps. As it was of course supposed to be. I thought these would be easier but man did they start to become a pain in the ass. I felt it after first set that this is not gonna be that easy.

Got them done so that I completed 4-5 reps (depending on the set) t'n'g, then caught breath on top before knocking 1-2 reps at a time. This was tough stuff. I had to grind through the last reps and my shoulders were taking hit with the legs. It was almost more challenging on the shoulders than lower body. I'm happy on the form I was able to maintain.



Metcon. Time, 13.13
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 back squat, 100kg
  • 8 box
  • 11 handstand push-ups
This was totally different than normal metcon. Going for 100kg back squat is not that heavy for strength training but throw it into a metcon and it definitely is heavy. Squats, then box jumps and finally hspu's. For a total of 5 rounds. I completed this one with weightlifting shoes because of the squats so my box jumps were not as efficient as normally. I didn't try to bounce right back. I dropped down, and then with the same motion jumped back. Just bent my knees enough and got back up. But it was different than normal box jumps where I stay on the ground for just a fraction of a second.



Those back squats were doable all the way. It's hard to describe how they felt because the weight was okay but it didn't feel tempting to take it on my back rack. Had to take breaks between movements which took some time. Couldn't hop on to squats right after hspu's.




It's been rare to see hspu's in my workouts lately. Right wrist has been an issue for over a month now but now it feels like it doesn't bother me that much any more. It needs proper warm-up but then it's manageable. I got 2 rounds unbroken on hspu's. 3rd round was 7-4, so was the 4th and last round was 8-3. It was incredible to get those reps done, I enjoyed every single rep because I've been missing those a lot. And at some point I thought I'd never be able to do them again. Yes, I was in deep waters some time ago =)

This was a good variance to normal high intensity workouts. Intensity and heavy breathing were part of the elements of this workout but not in a same level as in a regular benchmark workouts for example.





No comments:

Post a Comment