Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tuesday 30.12: Rings, Pull-ups, 3x5min amrap

Tuesday. Skills, ring mu's. Weighted pull-ups 8x3. Metcon, 5min amrap of: burpee box jumps and pull-ups. Metcon, 5min amrap of: hspu's and kb swings. Metcon, 5min amrap of: t2b's and db presses.

Yeah, kind of a different day. Took ring muscle-ups in the beginning after a long break. Also pull-ups with added weight is something that hasn't taken place in eternity. Metcon consisted of 3 quick workouts, mostly bodyweight, mixed with some dumbbells. This was great stuff!

Really needed these to save my palms today


Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups, 1-1-1-1-1
Good to have these in my system. And it was solid effort all the way. Each rep were assumably similar. I did mental work prior to each rep to avoid misses because this is as much physical as it is psychological movement for me. This was probably the second time in the past months I've done ring mu's at all. I remember I intentionally skipped this movement totally for a while when I had those wrist issues. Now this needs to make a comeback.


Ring mu's but not from today's session



Weighted pull-ups.
  • 8x3 (10, 15, 20, 20, 20, 15, 15, 15kg)
Don't know where this came from but for some reason I had the urge to go after these. Not sure did I get anything out of these but at least the work was being done. Originally I was looking to do 7 sets with normal pull-up grip, that is pronated grip. After 7 sets I though trying one more set with supinated grip. That felt much lighter.

The first 2 sets were the at 10-15kg and I felt there was room to add up so the next couple of sets were at 20kg. The 5th set felt a bit too tight and it felt like next set wouldn't succeed as a triple so I dropped it to 15kg and finished the rest of the sets, maybe a bit too light though on those. Maybe it could've been 17.5kg or something like that.



Metcon. Result, 73 reps (13 burpees on the round of 15's)
  • 3-3-, 6-6, 9-9… of:
  • Burpee box jump
  • Pull-ups
Toni just completed this kind of stuff maybe yesterday. He got 2x5min amraps, pretty much identical, the only difference was he had burpees over the box whereas I had burpee box jumps. Difference? Mine had to be facing the box all the time whereas in burpees over the box you may face the box however you want to. I wanted to work on that explosiveness at the same time when coming up from the burpee. Need to use hips and jump close to the box so that I could bounce on top of the box with one constant movement. Thanks to Toni for the inspiration on the metcons.

It was good to have this kind of quick and fast-paced action. The nature of these metcons is different compared to a 20min amrap or a long benchmark workout. Anyway, I went unbroken on both movements except the 12 pull-ups that I cut to 7-5. Burpee box jumps really know how to get heart rate up. This was a good one.



Metcon. Result, 68 reps (8 hspu on the round of 15's)
  • 3-3-, 6-6, 9-9… of:
  • Handstand push-ups
  • Dumbbell swings (30kg)
Same logic with the reps. Start with a triple with both movements, add 3 more reps each round to both movements. Complete as many reps as possible in the 5min time frame. I got hspu's unbroken on the first 2 rounds. It was no surprise handstand push-ups was the more challenging element of these two. On the round of 9's I cut it to 6-3. And round of 12's it was 4-4-2-2, I just tried to keep the recovery as short as possible, still keeping in mind that I can't rush it so save shoulders a little bit. Once they go out of order, they won't come back in seconds.

"Kettlebell" swings were tougher with a dumbbell. No matter the 2kg difference to 2-pood bell. I'd rather swing the traditional bell because of the grip. It was kind of awkward to fit both hands on the dumbbell as there's not that much space. Well, no biggie, I got those unbroken anyway. Swings for 3-12 reps is nothing so it was only inevitable to make 'em unbroken.

Great workout, and my shoulders were definitely smashed after 5 minutes. I enjoy this kind of 3-3, 6-6… system, especially for workouts that last something between 5 and 7 minutes. Works perfectly, this is what we talked with Toni too.


Fast forward to event 7


Metcon. Result, 101 reps (11 t2b's on the round of 18's)
  • 3-3-, 6-6, 9-9… of:
  • Toes-to-bar's
  • Dumbbell presses (2x15kg db's)
This was extra stuff. I had planned to hit only 2 wods but Pauliina talked me over for a third one. She often hits 4 x 7min amraps, that is some serious shit. What hit me the most on this workout was grip weakness. Had no idea how heavy dumbbells would make perfection on this workout but afterwards thought this weight was great. I got them unbroken which is pretty much the idea for all movements in this kind of short workout. Db presses were not light so I'd figure it was exactly what I was able to move.


And here's the Final too!



Toes-to-bar's were easy for first 3 rounds (3's, 6's, and 9's). From then on I cut it, the round of 12's were 8-4, and the round of 15's were 6-5-4. On the last round I think it was 5-5-1 before the buzzer finally rang. My grip was losing me at some point. There was some tingling in forearms after db presses and that transferred to hanging at the pull-up bar. Great combo of movements, got to say!

All 3 metcons had their moment, and each were good quick efforts and I was happy on being able to move most of the time. That is exactly the reason in a workout like this. That is always the objective for me but the pace needs to be different compared to a short and long workouts.




No comments:

Post a Comment