Thursday, July 2, 2015

Thursday 2.7: Pause Ohs, Long metcon

Thursday. OHS with a 10sec pause, 6x1 @ 60kg. Metcon, 10-8-6-4-2 power clean, 10 front squat, 15 ghd, 20 lunges, 500m row. Time, 30.49.

Today's agenda was a lot of fun. Well, fun is maybe not the best word to describe it but I enjoyed the session a lot more than the couple of last days. First, in the morning, we went for a 45 min walk with my fiancé for some quality time. Then at noon it was pause overhead squats and a long long metcon.

Rogue Ohio Bar


Barbell.

  • Overhead squats with a 10 second pause in the bottom
  • 6x1 @ 60kg

First of all, I fell in love with this Rogue Ohio Barbell. I've done pretty much all my work with a different type of barbell where the knurl is very sharp. Plus I've used a lot of chalk in my lifts. Maybe that's the reason why my hands are all torn up since I moved to this new gym. There's simply too much friction between hands and the bar. This Ohio bar is smoother on the knurl, and this time I left the chalk alone in its basket.

Tried to improve my snatch by doing overhead squats with a long pause in the bottom position. I went all the way to the very bottom, that's my extreme position on this movement. These lifts felt good all the way. Weights were moderate so there was not supposed to be big problems in any of the singles. Because the paused time was quite long, I wasn't building it heavier this time.

Ohs


Metcon. Time, 30.49

  • 10 power clean, 80kg
  • 10 front squat, 60kg
  • 15 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 lunges
  • 500m row





  • 8 power clean, 80kg
  • 10 front squat, 60kg
  • 15 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 lunges
  • 500m row




  • 6 power clean, 80kg
  • 10 front squat, 60kg
  • 15 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 lunges
  • 500m row




  • 4 power clean, 80kg
  • 10 front squat, 60kg
  • 15 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 lunges
  • 500m row




  • 2 power clean, 80kg
  • 10 front squat, 60kg
  • 15 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 lunges
  • 500m row
Those cleans were originally supposed to be a buy-in of 10 reps. Then a 30 minute amrap of front squats, ghd's, lunges and rowing. However, the first cleans felt super and my body just needed to get those more in my system. I decided to do those in singles because the workout was long. No point in rushing those in the beginning and then suffer for the rest of the workout.


Front squats were kinda light if you think about 60 kilos in general but 10 reps in this workout were not cool. They pretty soon started to brome tough. Nasty but tolerable. Went unbroken each round. Had to keep a pause on top after 6 reps in each set to give my legs a break of the tension.

Ghd's were the easiest part of this one. It was mostly about controlling breath when being almost inverted. Core took this well. I got lunges done yesterday too for the same distance. This movement is actually pretty good. That's the reason why they have appeared more in my workouts lately. As pretty much everything else in this wod, lunges also took a lot of burden for legs.

Metcon recap


Rowing was the finisher of each round so I got 2.500 meters in total. My focus was to keep the pace at 1:50 all the time. Rowing in metcons is usually a big mental thing and also burns the body whole-heartedly. At the end of this workout it was really hard to stand up. I went on my knees after the last meter had been rowed. My legs were almost numb. It was a long burn for the lower body. And I also felt like the bar path on the power cleans was good this time and I was able to use my legs much more. That obviously burned legs even more.




No comments:

Post a Comment