Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday 5.4: Ring skills, metcon, rowing

Friday. Ring skills, metcon, rowing.

Pony joined at the Box to work out. My body has taken some hit due to lot of barbell work with heavy weights. I wanted to take it lighter so I left the barbells for Toni this time. Instead, I mostly used rings for today's workout as well as bodyweight. Toni copied the training, in addition he did push press before the metcon.

Before the workout I warmed up with the rings, doing inverted holds for few sets as well as handstand holds against wall. Also some sets of ring rows and L-sit holds with the rings. To kick the training on the first thing we have done with Toni for the last maybe 4 times is that we take a double under battle. Alternating with Toni, 5x20 unbroken sets of DU's so that once the other one quits, the other one starts.



Metcon. Mostly rings
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1min deficit push-ups
  • 1min ring rows
  • 1min ring push-ups
  • 1min rest
This looks easy but was a killer! Short workout but my upper body was smashed after it was over. Triceps were simply burning. Definitely the most difficult part was the deficit push-ups. We put 2x20kg plates to place our hands on and the idea is to make the chest hit the floor to make it a little tougher movement. First ring rows were easy but after the wall hits you, it's difficult to get back on track right away. Ring push-ups not as painful as the deficit ones.

Rowing. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for 20 minutes. Distance rowed: 3.377 meters.

That first metcon didn't make me gasp for air so I strongly wanted another one to give something for my heart as well. I've done this type of rowing for a few times and it gives me the satisfaction every time. I was able to do strong strokes from the very beginning. My pace was constantly under 1.40/500m, at best it was 1.31, probably on average I'd say it was around 1.38-1.39. Happy with this one, even though my ass also goes numb in this workout =)



Toni's workouts. Push press as strength and metcon for dessert.

Push press EMOM. 1 rep each minute with increasing load after every 5 minutes.

  • For first 5 minutes, 2x60kg
  • For the following 5 minutes, 1x65kg
  • For the following 5 minutes, 1x70kg
  • For the following 5 minutes, 1x80kg

The point was to add 5kg after every 5 minutes but Toni accidentally jumped 10kg after 70kg directly to 80kg. Well, no wonder, he is known for his skills to count weights on the barbell, right Toni? ;) Maybe that last leap was lethal in this workout as he managed to finish the 5 sets with some failed reps at 80kg but was not able to increase load after that.

Toni's Metcon.

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1min deficit push-ups
  • 1min ring rows
  • 1min ring push-ups
  • 1min rest

No comments:

Post a Comment