Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday 28.4: Shoulder press, push press metcon

Sunday. Shoulder press 3-3-3-3-2-1-1 (max 70kg PR). Push press metcon. Total of 94 reps.

The day after Seven. I felt good and was ready and anxious to train again. I recovered well from that tough and demanding workout and didn't have anything hindering from working hard. I drove to the Box and I was the only soul there during my training session. I guess people liked to to outdoors as it was a beautiful day in Helsinki.



Shoulder press. 3-3-3-3-2-1-1 (50, 55, 60, 62.5, 65, PR 67.5kg, PR 70kg). I woke up in the morning and thought I'd like to do some old school strength training, shoulder press! It's been a while since I've been isolating strength training to focus purely on shoulders. Had I thought about this day on Friday, I'd say it would have been impossible because of all the shoulder work done during Seven but the feeling this morning was perfect.

I took a different approach to warm-up: Jumping Jacks, boxing and some barbell work. Little by little I added some more weights on the barbell and quickly I was at 50kg doing shoulder press. I took videos of today's every lift, including warm-ups, you'll find them from my Youtube channel. I was confident of hitting a new record today. Actually, I wrote in my training notes already in advance =) I went on in triples up to 62.5kg, which I haven't been able before. I believe I've taken that weight up only in singles. And the next weight - 65kg - was a double, definitely haven't been able to do that earlier.

The next weight was a new record, 67.5kg, it came up and I was anxious to try new digits, 70kg (that's 5kg improvement). My first try there was extremely close but it got stuck just inches away from full extension. That was frustrating! Had to take a break, get myself together and force it up. Another PR was created, 70kg!!!

Shoulder press, 70kg, PR

Shoulder press, 70kg, PR, different angle

Metcon. Push press, 35+30+29 reps. Total of 94 reps.
  • 3 rounds of
  • 2min amrap of push press, 50kg
  • 2 min rest
After resting for about 3 minutes I wanted to give the final shot to my shoulders and completed a push press metcon, 3x2min amrap of 50kg push press, 2min rest between rounds. You'll find each round also from Youtube. I was wondering what weight would be perfect for me. I copy pasted this workout from one interview with Mikko Salo and I recall him saying he usually hits about 30-40 reps per round so 50kg turned out to be pretty similar, I'm happy with the decision on the weights. And my result didn't drop dramatically so this definitely was a good workout. My shoulders were numb in the end. Take a look at the first round here.



Cashout. Some quick abs in the end.
  • 2 rounds of
  • 50 sit-ups
  • 10 ab wheel
Source: google

No comments:

Post a Comment