Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday 13.4: Lynne

Saturday. Lynne. 25 bench press, 105 pull-ups.

Time for a benchmark workout, Lynne. Consisting of bench press and pull-ups. We drove to the home Box with Pauliina and had the possibility to workout just the two of us, nobody else at the spot. Toni is on a cruise currently in Tallinn, Estonia, so he's not going to train during the weekend.



Lynne. 25 bench press, 105 pull-ups.
  • 5 rounds of
  • ME bench press, bodyweight, 80kg
  • ME pull-ups


Results
. Total of 25 bench press and 105 pull-ups

  • 1st round, 8+33 (PR)
  • 2nd round, 5+20
  • 3rd round, 5+17
  • 4th round, 4+17
  • 5th round, 3+18



This workout is not for time. You may rest between movements and rounds. The kilos for the bench press are determined by the athlete's bodyweight. I weigh 80kg at the moment so I equaled that with the barbell (176lbs). The idea is to do max effort each round, starting from bench and continuing to pull-ups. That is max set of repetitions unbroken. Once you have to put the barbell away or you drop from the pull-up bar, you may not continue anymore.

1st round of Lynne, bench press



Yesterday's thrusters made my triceps hurt and they were sore already in the morning. Bench felt heavy from early on and I didn't manage to push that many reps this time. Well, I have never lifted 80kg more than 5 times so I guess this was still ok. On the first round I got 8 reps, then 5, 5, 4 and 3 reps. I might have tried for 1-2 additional reps at least in the beginning if there was a spotter behind me.

The combination of bench and pull-ups was tougher than I thought. After two rounds my upper body was in flames. It is a difficult set-up to continue for another 3 rounds in that condition but I managed it pretty well in my opinion =) Set a PR on the first pull-up round. The last 4 rounds were pretty stable and consistent, only varying with 3 reps (17-20 reps each round).

1st round of Lynne, pull-ups


It felt difficult to grab the pull-up rack but once I got the first pull-up, I tried to ignore the pain and simply keep the rhythm stable and keep on moving. There were a number of pull-ups today, probably going to feel this training session tomorrow in my upper body!


No comments:

Post a Comment