Friday, April 26, 2013

Friday 26.4: Back squats + technique

Friday. AM: Back squats 7x4 (max 120kg). OHS technique training. PM: technique training.

Purely back squats as strength training. No metcons today, tomorrow's gonna be a difficult day, we are going to hit it hard with Toni. After strength training I took some sets of overhead squats to work on the technique and form. Toni was on a date with Cindy. After work we went back to the gym with Pauliina. I took it light, a little sweat on and then working on technique.


Strength. Back squats 7x4 (100, 110, 120, 120, 120, 120, 120kg). It's been over a week since previous back squats. They've been demanding lately, can't argue about that. The sets today were 4 reps each time and loads were pretty stable around 120kg. Depth of my squats have developed to good direction and even though I didn't have the possibility to videoshoot the attempts, Toni was there to judge some of the sets.

OHS. Didn't take any metcon or cashout but 3x8 sets of overhead squats with a cold bar to find comfortability in the bottom position and to find a form to squat deep and feel like home. It felt very good. The main problem still exists: my upper back mobility is not good enough. I have to widen my grip to get down. I like to snatch with my hands about 10cm from the far end of the barbell. In overhead squat I have to push my hands at the far ends of the barbell, otherwise my back will get too tight and doesn't allow me to go deep enough. I'd love to keep my grip a bit narrower so I'll have to do some mobility work over there. Anyway, while holding my hands as far as possible, I found a stable and solid form and ohs felt natural.

PM: Technique. In the evening I did some skills and technique training. Those split jerks are something worth training. I don't quite get it yet, better study the form more. I did those jerks from front rack position as well as from behind the neck. I wanted to try out that OHS again, and yes, it felt as good as in the morning =) Then some sit-ups with small rest between 50 rep sets. In the end I had good time to do some mobility and stretching.

  • Cycling
  • Double unders
  • Split jerk
  • Overhead squat
  • Headstand
  • 3x50 sit-ups
  • Cycling
  • Stretching


Toni's workouts. Cindy. Total of 405 reps.
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 pull-ups
  • 10 push-ups
  • 15 squats


3 comments:

  1. It was awesome that Toni made the first 5 rounds unbroken with the pull-ups! And there was a total of 70 pull-ups, that's a huge number for this fellow, well done man!

    Push-ups seemed to be the most difficult movement for you? Well, the most difficult part was definitely counting the reps =) I counted some of your rounds and there were missing 1-2 reps of push-ups and squats, no surprise there mister =) Good concentration towards the end and you hit all necessary reps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. workout is faster when you don't do all the reps :). I'm very happy about my pull-ups today. I'm also a little scared about tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow's workout is gonna kick our asses, we'd better be scared!

    ReplyDelete