Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday 29.4: Front squats, metcon

Monday. Front squats 5-5-4 (max 115kg). Metcon, hang squat cleans, burpees, pull-ups.

I wanted to start the week by squatting, adding a metcon to make my heart beat as well. It was time for front squats, and deviating from the regular rhythm, I decided to do only 3 sets of 5 reps. My metcon included some breath taking elements: hang squat cleans, burpees and pull-ups. I forgot my phone slash timer at home so had to do this without the clock running. Still, I tried to keep on moving. Toni accompanied me and did also squats, back squats this time and then the same workout I did yesterday.



Strength. Front squats 5-5-4 (100, 110, 115kg). For starters I did some sets with 60 and 80kg, then moving on to the actual weights. I did 3 sets and purpose was to do them unbroken with increasing load. These were the best I could do today. 110kg was tough on the last reps so I was maybe a bit too ambitious to aim for 5 x 115kg. That fourth rep was a battle on the last set so it was kind of desperate try but I wanted to nail that last rep. Unfortunately had to drop it, forget it and move on.

Metcon.
  • 5 rounds not for time with minimum rest
  • 5 hang squat cleans, 60kg (last round, double the reps)
  • 10 burpees
  • 10 pull-ups (last round, double the reps)
I liked this one a lot. All three movements were perfect for my purposes. What did I want to improve? Speed in dropping under the barbell, squat depth, grip strength, breath control, pulling strength, mental strength in the last round. I forgot my phone at home and I always use wodbox timer in my metcons. So I completed this one without clock running. I still tried to keep my body moving.

Those squat cleans were not heavy but the purpose was to do then as hang cleans to improve on the grip strength and go as deep as possible in the squat. In my opinion I succeeded well with this movement, at least someone told me at the Box they looked nice all the way =) How about those burpees? You got to love them and hate them. It's so traditional crossfit movement that you must do them continuously, somehow I forget to do them. This was a good reminder to keep them on the schedule in the future as well.

The last movement was pull-ups. I believe I've developed in them very much during my crossfit career. When I started this sport one year ago, I managed to do 10 pull-ups in a row. Today, the number is 33 and doing 10 reps should not be an issue anymore. I'm happy to witness completing those 10 reps per round is not difficult at all. Maybe should have added the number to 15.

On the last round mental game stepped in. The goal was to double the number of hang squat cleans and pull-ups. Wasn't easy! The 9th rep on the cleans was a good one by a short margin, had to take a step forward to not miss the rep. The 10th was naturally as difficult as the previous one but I made it! With the pull-ups I got 15 reps in a row, then had to stop at the bottom dead hang position and finish the last 5 reps. It was tough.

Cashout. Some abs, same as yesterday.
  • 2 rounds of
  • 50 sit-ups
  • 10 ab wheel

After work we went outdoors with Pauliina and Benny for an evening stroll.

Head-to-head battle with my dog - Benny

Toni's workouts. Back squats 4-4-4-3-3 (100, 102.5, 105, 107.5, 110kg)
  • Metcon. Result 23+22+21. Total of 66 reps.
  • 3 rounds of
  • 2min amrap, push press, 50kg
  • 2min rest
Nicely stayed on the same pace through all 3 rounds. It was mostly 3-7 reps continuously. Naturally the first set of each round was always the longest streak, around 7 reps, maybe 10 reps in the first round?


1 comment:

  1. Yes 10 reps. This one was a nice workout. I was a bit tired in the morning but after few sets of squats I was a new man!

    ReplyDelete