Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday 23.4: Bench, weighted dips + sprint metcon, pull-ups

Tuesday. AM: Bench press 5-5-5-5-3-1-1 (max 95kg PR), weighted dips 7x5 (max 30kg). Triceps. PM: 10 rounds of 100m sprint + 20 squats. Pull-up clinic.

In the morning I concentrated in upper body strength training and after work we went outdoors with Pony. Main objective was to run and create a metcon with a high heart rate and make muscles hurt. Then we also took advantage of Pirkkola's outdoor pull-up bars to practice pull-up techniques.



Strength. Bench, dips and triceps.

  • Bench press 5-5-5-5-3-1-1 (70, 80, 85, 85, 85, 90, PR 95kg)
  • Weighted dips 7x5 (bw, 8, 12.5, 17.5, 25, 30, 20kg)
  • Triceps 4 x (12+12) as ancillary movement.

Personal Record, c'mon! It's been a while since bench pressing for max load, must have been in February since seriously trying to go at 90kg or more. My goal was to do sets of 5 as long as possible. I haven't done 5's with 85kg prior to this day. Managed to push them through for 2 sets and on the third one 3 reps. The last set was very tough, first rep not so bad but the following 2 reps needed extra effort. My training partners talked me into trying for record numbers. Didn't need much of persuasion =) I was ready to try it instantly. I took 90kg and it came up easily! That was weird considering how much effort needed to be done for 85kg. Okay, there were multiple reps with that weight so guess that's only natural. There were no other options left but to put 95kg on the barbell and take it up. Thanks Hannu and Visa for spotting the weights!

As I was already focused on upper body strength, why not take weighted dips to maximize the effort. Sets of 5 reps, starting with bodyweight, then using 8kg dumbbell between legs, then 12.5kg db. After this I put on a belt where I was able to mount plates, first 17.5kg, then 25 and finally 30kg. Managed to keep sets unbroken constantly. In the end I did quite a lot of triceps to strengthen that part as well. I want to make the handstand push-ups perfect some day and triceps are the key to success!

Weighted dips, 30kg

Metcon. Run and squats, wearing a weighted vest.

  • 10 rounds of:
  • 100m sprint
  • 20 squats
  • Wear a 9kg vest
This was much more wearing than it may sound on paper. We wanted to do 4 rounds of 400m run and 50 squats between rounds but the track was not yet open. It was full of snow still, it's only April. Even though the streets are snow-free, there are still some white in the forest. It didn't take long before Pony modified the workout to 10 rounds of short sprints and 20 air squats between rounds. We did it together at the same time. To put some more difficult level in to this one, I had a 9kg vest throughout the workout. My quads and hamstrings were devastated after this one, already in the middle of it. We managed to keep a steady pace all the time. If there was a clock running, I believe the lap times would not have dropped significantly.




Pull-ups. Several sets of pull-ups.

On the first set of regular pull-ups I was still wearing the weight vest, and took 10 reps for warming up. Then I took a few sets of regular ones, followed by chest-to-bars. I've had difficulties at home Box 'cause the rack is located so close to wall. I feel like I have to do a bigger kip and I need that spaceat least now in the training phase. Here in Pirkkola that's possible. I did some sets of C2B's, max set was 8 in a row. As a cashout I did max effort of regular pull-ups, that was 20 reps after all training, I'm pleased.

Chest-to-bar (C2B) pull-ups

Toni's workout.

  • 10 rounds of:
  • 100m sprint
  • 20 squats


No comments:

Post a Comment