Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday 19.7: Back squats, step-ups & wall climbs

Friday. Back squats 5x3 (max 120kg). Metcon, 6 rounds of 10 step-ups (80kg) and 5 wall climbs. Time 14.17.

Got back from Spain 7.00am in the morning. Went to sleep, woke up at noon, ate breakfast and headed to the gym with Pauliina. Nobody in there 'cause everyone was working upstairs. The basement "box" was all ours. Few minutes of cycling to get some blood running inside, then stretching, air squats and bar warm-up. Soon after it was time to start adding plates on the bar. Back squats for strength and step-ups / wall climbs for metcon.



Strength. Back squats 3-3-3-3-3 (100, 110, 120, 120, 120kg). I guess it shows I haven't had the possibility to work with barbells in a while. It feels like an eternity. I did triples between 100 and 120kg. I didn't risk the unbroken sets and stayed at 120 at max. Felt good squatting and got deep reps all the way. Should have gotten more total kilos anyway, today I stayed at 1.700kg back squatting. Program said there's still work to be done, step-ups and wall climbs.



Metcon. Time 14.17.

  • 6 rounds of:
  • 10 step-ups, 80kg
  • 5 wall climbs

Here I got more leg work done. It's a different movement for sure but now I got almost 5.000kg done with legs and core. I was thinking about the weights for a second. I've been doing these with 80-100kg and decided on the lighter one because I've had this break from barbell work. Towards the end it got tougher but I believe I could have carried that 100kg in my back as well. I was able to keep a good steady pace from beginning through the end with the step-ups.

Wall climbs were significantly tougher. It's been a long time since I did that cruel movement. 5 reps each round, make your chest hit the wall before coming down. I usually did 2-3 reps in a row, then took a breath and finished off the last reps. On some rounds, had to break it in 3 sets. This is a rough movement on shoulders. Simultaneously breathing gets heavier by every rep. In other words, a great movement! =)

First round was 1.55, then all other rounds between 2.07 and 2.47. On the last one I was able to speed up and complete it half a minute faster than the 5th round. Pretty stable pace anyway in the workout. It took me a few seconds to stop the clock, there's the difference to my time: 14.17.


Metcon, round times
It felt incredibly good to get back on track. I'm definitely going back tomorrow for some hardcore stuff. Hopefully seeing Pony as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment