Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday 8.7: Clean and jerk, running metcon

Monday. Clean & jerk singles (max PR 87.5kg). Metcon, 4 rounds of 430m run, 10 hang squat cleans 60kg). Time 12.11.

Yes, had a possibility to work out at Liikuntamylly sports center and I definitely went there. I had nothing but good memories training there. The circumstances are perfect. You can do practically anything out there. It's super for olympic lifting plus you have all possibilities for metcons as well. Today I did clean & jerks and then a running metcon added with some barbell work. Unfortunately my bro couldn't make it as we had planned. Would have been awesome to kick some pair wod.



Strength. Clean & jerk singles (70, 80, 85, PR 87.5kg). For warm-up I did 800m run, lunges, push-ups, squats and then barbell warm-up. I was thinking about whether to try for snatch PR as well but realized that's not the main issue with snatch. It's more important to concentrate in my snatch technique and finding out comfortability in squat snatching. Today I did some hang squat snatches with 20-30kg simply to work on my technique, stance and mobility. Then worked towards the c&j.

Cleans and presses with 40kg & 60kg before starting the singles. 70kg was easy, 80kg came easily as well. I've had some issues pressing / jerking weights over 80kg but today getting that old PR of 85kg up was n issue at all. It felt good. Those cleans were easy for me today all the way. I dared to put small plates in both ends of the barbell and try for a new record, 87.5kg. I'm super happy I got that up, boosted a lot of confidence! You'll have the videos below.


C&J, 85kg


C&J 87.5kg

Metcon. Time 12.11

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 430m run
  • 10 hang squat cleans, 60kg

I scheduled to go for 400m run and 10 hang squat cleans. That track was 200m long so I ran it twice but the transition from there to my barbell took 30+ meters. I believe I ran a solid pace so I was wondering why the clock was at 1.50 when I returned from first lap. The transition must have taken some time from the barbell to the track 'cause I felt good through the workout if you don't count the last lap. It was awful in the end.

On the first round I got those cleans unbroken, the following 3 rounds went in 6 and 4 reps. Love this place for being able to drop the weights when you don't have the energy hold on to it anymore. It's a small thing but at that given moment it feels good!

I feel like I didn't give myself a slack with the cleans. Once I got back from the running I grabbed the barbell rather quickly. And once I dropped the bar on those 3 last rounds I didn't stay and try catch a breath for long. Stepped back, pushed the bumpers back in place and did the remaining cleans. On the last round that running felt nightmarish. My lunges were trying to get a breath so once I went running it just felt like it's burning in my guts. Luckily I got that feeling over after 100 meters.



This workout was perfect for me. This is the only place where I've had the possibility to combine running and barbell work. At my home gym there's no possibility to run and then if I train outdoors I don't have access to barbells, only kettlebells. That's why I need to utilize this place in my summer holiday. On regular working days that weightlifting platform is reserved for sports teams so it's difficult to come here normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment