Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday 23.11: Front squat + clean + technique

Friday. Front squat 3-3-2-2-1 (max 110kg), clean 3-3-1-1 (max 75kg). Snatch & overhead squat technique.

Toni went to the gym already in the morning, I had the possibility in the evening. Toni did something extraordinary, he improved his record in cleans with 7.5kg up to 82.5kg! C'mon mister, that's great, the leap is huge! Tell us more how did it go up there? I was determined to do front squats today but got inspired by Toni and did cleans as well =) In the end I took technique training for snatch and overhead squats. My metcon free week is over and tomorrow I'm gonna make my heart beat to the beat of a drum.

Strength. Front squat 3-3-2-2-1 (100, 105, 110, 110, 110kg). Clean 3-3-1-1 (60, 67.5, 72.5, 75kg)

I took several sets for warm-up until I got to three digit numbers and until I felt my legs were open and joints were loose in the correct sense. 100 and 105 kg weren't that difficult. Adding 110kg to the table was another thing. I took 2 reps once, the third one stayed to the bottom. Second set of 110kg I took it up once and felt after the second rep I had given my everything so I didn't try the third rep. I decided to stay with the same weights and took 110kg for the third time, this time it was a single rep.

My cleans went great with 60kg so I decided to ad 7.5kg. That came up rather easy as well so I went to 72.5kg. It was a tough one, I felt after first rep that's too heavy for several reps. I still wanted to go to my tied record of 75kg to lift it up. I took it up with determination and was ready for today's strength training.

For some reason I still felt I wasn't able to perform at my best level today. That's is somehow awesome because I reached my tops for both movements (front squat PR is 112.5kg and clean is 75kg) even though I didn't feel like I could give everything I have. And training by myself was different compared to doing it with Toni. There's the boost I really enjoy training with other athletes.

Technique. Snatch & overhead squat technique.
6 x 1 snatch + 5 overhead squats
Squat snatch technique

After playing with the bar and taking some random snatches and OHS I took six sets of overhead squats starting from the ground, just with the barbell, 20kg, intentionally not adding any weights, purely concentrating in technical issues. Yep, my snatch is ok when I do it as power snatch and with light weights. I feel I have it in control. However, when adding weights I should bent my knees more and go lower. This far I've tried to do them pretty much without squatting at all. My overhead squat position feels difficult, how to keep good form, go deep enough and point those knees out when squatting. I've been working on it and I know that would be the key to go heavier weights with snatches. Lifting heavy weights with only power snatch is challenging. I should definitely go lower and even squat snatch to lift heavier barbells.

Tomorrow I'm gonna meet Toni in the morning to train hard. It's not gonna be an easy workout.

1 comment:

  1. I've been struggling in 75 kg for so long that today I decided that it was time to move on. With confidence I lifted 75 three times (easily). After that I lifted 77,5 twice and decided to lift 80 kg which was still quite easy. After several reps with heavy kilos I nailed 82,5 kg. My technique was not great - not even close - but I'm still happy :)

    After weight lifting I did some dips, ring push-ups and pull-ups. Overall the day was a success and yesterday's rest day really did good.

    ReplyDelete