Saturday, November 3, 2012

Saturday 3.11: back squat, metcon, skills

Saturday. 1k row, 3.26 + back squat 5x3 (max PR 125kg), metcon of step-ups, HSPUs and T2Bs + ring skills.

This happens when you bring a pole dancer to the gym =)

After a rest day my enthusiasm to train was high. Together with Pauliina we drove to the gym and were about to back squat our personal records. And we both did! In my metcon I wanted to have some new elements so it was a bit different this time. At the end we played with the rings once again and I also want to develop my pull-up technique so that chest-to-bars are possible in the future. My training session started with 1k row, time 3.26, which I think is my fastest time for 1.000m row by far.

Strength. 3-3-3-3-2 (100, 110, 115, PR 120, PR 125kg). Great! Previous max stood at 117.5kg so getting up to 125kg was something beyond my dreams for today, my goal stood at 120kg. As 110kg seemed light and I was able to keep my form well I decided to take 115 and then move directly to new weights, 120kg. I took 3 reps of this new weight and then attempted to go for 3 reps of 125kg. Two reps succeeded, the third one didn't have a chance. I'm not totally satisfied with my squat depth of the 125kg but still extremely happy for these kilos.



Metcon. Total of 40 step-ups, 30 hspu and 40 toes-to-bar. Time 7.08.

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 4x2 step-ups (60kg, alternating legs, 4 each)
  • 6 hspu
  • 8 toes-to-bar

I used a foam roll on the handstand push-ups to which I lowered my head and then pushed myself back up. The three stations are all in different corners of the gym so it took some time to walk around during the workout in the transitions. I should have put either more plates on the bar with the step-ups or increase the amount of reps. The purpose of the workout was to stress the entire body but my legs found out their part was rather easy. I haven't done step-ups yet, I thought it might be a bit shaky to step to the bench (about 40cm) with one leg so I figured 60kg would be alright. I'd say 80kg would have been better or then double the reps.

Step-ups, 60kg

Handstand push-ups went unbroken each round, I think I must start getting rid of that foam roll. I took some attempts without it after the metcon and managed to perform them correctly. However, they were so much heavier than with this scaled style. My toes-to-bars were unbroken as well. The pull-up bar is very close to the wall so I've been avoiding T2B movement for quite a while. Today I realized it's just an excuse :) I will do them in the future as well, the wall's near proximity was no issue.

As a summary, these movements were good. We talked with Pauliina that this could have been a great workout if conducted for example as 18min amrap. Then more reps would have taken place. Now it was too short, too easy, too light. Only handstand push-ups started to feel tough at the fourth round. There I can clearly see a development point.

Bench press
Skills. At the end we played with the rings again. They are simply awesome! Skin the cat has become my new favorite just like that. It really improves mobility and you can strengthen the core at the same time. I also took some steps to front lever and back lever. At the end I took 20 "chest-to-bar" pull-ups. This was the first time I was able to pull myself high enough but still it feels difficult to make my chest actually tough the bar. I can force my lats close together but still need that final strive to touch the bar to be counted as a reps.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing squatting! That inspires me to do some serius training with my squats. Monday is a good day to squat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday seems to be a classic back squat day for us, you can do some magic then =) Anyway, let's see tomorrow at the gym to celebrate!

      Delete