Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wednesday 14.11: Clean and jerk, 2 pair wods, floorball

Wednesday. 1k row, time 3.22. Strength clean & jerk (max PR 70kg, clean PR 75kg), pair wods consisting of farmer's walk, dumbbell thrusters and step-ups, twice. Floorball in the evening.

This day was simply phenomenal! A lot of work was done and some personal records were broken. We took off with Toni by rowing our PR's, then we had strength training. I had clean & jerk on my list, Toni concentrated in push press. Then we took a pair wod, we loved it and felt we have more juice so we took another workout after that. In the evening I had my floorball practice. Between sessions we went to buy a regular sand bag with Toni and turned it into a "crossfit sand bag" =)



Row. Time 3.22, improving previous record with 4 seconds. In such a short distance, I have a feeling this was pretty awesome. I didn't have this in mind but as it felt light from the very beginning, I put some more power in the rows and it just slid through. I usually have my damper setting at 8, today as well. I have counted that some time ago I took 9 strokes to reach 100 meters, then it came down to 9, nowadays it's 7-8 strokes. I use a lot of leg power and I pull the handle quite far away and higher than I used to, that means the pull is more fierce and longer. Toni also id his personal record as he reached the momentum after seeing the digits on my clock. He was pulling it like a maniac and finally reached 3.27, that's pure force man!

PR
Strength. Clean & jerk 3-3-3 (60, 65, 70, 75 failed / PR 75kg clean succeeded). I took clean & jerks, sets of 3 reps starting from 60kg. My max for clean is 70kg and I managed to take three reps of c&j today so I was extremely happy. In addition I decided to go for 75kg and got the clean nicely. I used all my juice in that move and I couldn't get it going anymore, I dropped the bar after that. I tried it once more after some rest but it was impossible. I'm glad I got 75kg clean up, 5kg improvement, nice!

Clean & jerk, 70kg

Toni did push presses, 3-3-3-3-2 (60, 65, 70, 72.5k, 75kg). Take a look at his video to witness the last set.
Push press, 75kg, Toni

Metcon. Time 8.13. Use 25kg dumbbells for farmer's walk and 15kg dumbbells for db thrusters. Both me and Toni had farmer's walk on the agenda, my other movements were 60kg step-ups and 15kg db thrusters. Toni's movements were farmer's walk, ring push-ups and 15kg db thrusters, the number of reps are marked after the movement.

  • 90m farmer's walk, (Ring push-ups, 14 reps)
  • Step-ups, 13 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk, (dumbbell thrusters, 10 reps)
  • Dumbbell thrusters, 18 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk (ring push-ups, 17 reps)
  • Step-ups 14 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk (dumbbell thrusters, 10 reps)
  • Dumbbell thrusters 14 reps (90m farmer's walk)

I hope you guys understand what this workout was all about =) We liked it, a lot! The main idea is that the 25kg dumbbells play the main role in this pair workout. The other one carries them continuously with farmer's walk style. While the other one farmer walks, the other does as many reps as possible during that time. If the one with the 25kg dumbbells, drops the db's, the other one has to stop as well. We did this workout at the gym so that 90 meters was a shuttle walk, 6x15m. My performance is listed first in the bullets above, Toni's movements are in the brackets. You still following? =)

Farmer's walk
I got all sets unbroken except the last two rounds of farmer's walk. My hands were getting numb and I lost my grip on the dumbbells. It was also challenging to grab the dumbbells for db thrusters right after that. This was an awesome workout and got to the whole body exactly as I wanted. It was also great to get this walk on the workout as the gym was empty and we had the possibility to add this one to the wod. The most difficult was definitely the walk. Last time when I did step-ups, I wrote that more reps or more kilos should be added. This time I added reps but still I have the feeling I wanted to be more exhausted after them. Thus, I will add more weights next time. Thrusters were tough but manageable. Let's say I didn't mind Toni dropped his 25kg dumbbells in farmer's walk so I had to drop mine as well.
DB thrusters
Second metcon. Exactly the same, time 8.23. Time difference +9 seconds.

  • 90m farmer's walk, (Ring push-ups, 23 reps)
  • Step-ups, 12 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk, (dumbbell thrusters, 10 reps)
  • Dumbbell thrusters, 16 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk (ring push-ups, 13 reps)
  • Step-ups 12 reps (90m farmer's walk)
  • 90m farmer's walk (dumbbell thrusters, 9 reps)
  • Dumbbell thrusters 17 reps (90m farmer's walk)

You know, we had an awesome feeling after the first workout and we kinda wanted something more. We thought of going for another similar type of workout but Toni threw the idea up to go for exactly the same workout and see how much of a difference will there be. Now it would be a matter of metabolic condition and also very much a mental game!

Our time was 9 seconds slower on the second metcon, not bad =) How about the number of reps between metcons?

Don

  • 360m -> 360m farmer's walk
  • 27 -> 24 step-ups
  • 32 -> 33 dumbbell thrusters

Toni

  • 360m -> 360m farmer's walk
  • 31 -> 36 ring push-ups
  • 20 -> 19 dumbbell thrusters

Not a huge difference, we can conclude that we managed to keep up the pace with both speed and number of repetitions between metcons. After a long day of work it was a notification that got us smiling greatly =) Finally in the evening I had my floorball practice.

4 comments:

  1. Just to clarify the main point of the workout: it was kind of a two-man relay of 25kg dumbbells. Between walks the athlete had to do other movements, such as step-ups, ring push-ups and dumbbell thrusters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni, I watched the pair wod video just now and noticed there was some difference in the number of reps compared to our notes. Before the memory card of the camera came full it caught 5 minutes of our workout. I guess no need to say to which way the numbers were rounded in your case? ;) You'll find the real numbers in this post, they are correct now (for the first 5 rounds the tape caught)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cameras...I hate them :-) Maybe I should stop counting because I never get it right. But still i'm proud of my total reps in ring push ups. Also very happy about my technique. Metcon was very hard but lots of fun. Social pressure gave that extra boost to go faster and faster.

    My warm-up rowing was a sick one. Last time I rowed 1km in about 3.44 and now my time was 3.27. After rowing I had to cool down about 10 minutes because I was actually feeling dizzy and almost had to puke. Clearly my body was not warm enough to row like a maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ring push-ups really look good, have looked from the very beginning. You're not compromising the form / depth in any rep, you are doing them perfectly. Just keep doing them on a regular basis, they will develop consistently. And I agree about the social pressure, it was an important factor in this workout!

    ReplyDelete