Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday 28.11: Deadlift, bench press metcon

Wednesday. Deadlift 3-3-3-3-1 (max PR 165kg), metcon of bench press, ring dips and burpees. Time 7.30.

Yesterday I took a nap after work as I really felt my body needed a break. I had no floorball in the evening so I had the possibility to take it easy and recover. I ate tons of food, slept and chilled. This was the recipe for success today. Both I and Toni PR'd our deadlift maxes big time. And after strength workout I took a metcon which was rough on the upper body. This day was good and hard.

Toni, 130kg

Strength. Deadlift 3-3-3-3-1 (130, 140, 150, PR160kg, PR 165kg). What happened, I'm still asking myself? 165kg, you must be kidding me. For warmup I took sets of 60, 90 and 120kg and then started hitting plates on the barbell. I thought 140kg would be tough but once it came up easily I knew instantly I'm gonna try new numbers today. I decided to take 10kg steps up, 150kg and then skipping my old record of 155 and going straight to new PR 160kg. I took a steady three-rep set so natural step was to add bets and go for 165kg. That was a struggle but I nailed it, what a feeling! These weights are over double my body weight so I can't be nothing more than super happy =)

Going for 160kg, PR

Metcon. Time 7.30, bench press, ring dips and burpees.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 7 bench press (60kg)
  • 7 ring dips
  • 7 burpees

Total of 28 bench press, ring dips and burpees in 7.30. All these three movements took their share of my upper body strength. There was no "rest" for chest and shoulders. Doing ring dips after bench press was rough and even the burpees after those two felt heavy. First round was unbroken. I'm not sure if I did bench unbroken in the second round or not but third and fourth round went 3+2+2 as ring dips ate my juice little by little. Ring dips went unbroken in the first round, 5+2 on the second round and smaller pieces in the last two rounds. Burpees were naturally unbroken because there were so few of them but they made those other two movements more difficult. This was a hard training session, at least my upper body got its share of the work load. I haven't done many workouts where I'm moving rather heavy weights in a metcon so this was a good variety. We discussed with Toni that we must take these more often in a similar way as in the "Sevenish" last Saturday.

Toni's workouts. Deadlift 3-3-3-3-1-1 (110, 120, 130, 140, PR 145kg, PR 150kg). Wow, this guy also PR'd his old max with 10kg. His previous max (140kg) came up easily so it was obvious he's gonna take heavier weights up in that workout. Toni went straight to 150kg, failed to lift it so he put 145kg on the bar, took it up once and then succeeded to take also 150kg. Very good job man! I'm wondering how come you've been stuck with that 140kg for quite a while because you made it look easy today.

Toni, 140kg, old PR

Toni, 150kg, PR

Toni's metcon. Time 14.12. Compare to my workout 3rd September.
  • 1.000m row
  • 20 burpees
  • 30 kettlebell swing (1 pood = 16kg)
  • 40 double unders
  • 50m lunges
  • 1.000m row

Guy looked ehxausted, what were your feelings? We did this workout pretty much identically, I used 20kg kb instead of 1pood. In September I didn't have the double under skills in good form, I did them in double-single-double-single mode.

6 comments:

  1. And 2h floorball in the evening for recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the biggest reason why I haven't pr'd my deadlift earlier is that I just haven't tried it :). It has been a mental issue for me. Luckily today I was able to overcome that and now I will start adding kilos on regular basis.

    I'm very happy about that metcon. I was able to do it almost in same time than you in September. DU's, KB's and burbees were easy but that rowing really made my hand and heart scream.

    This was a good day! Gongrats about that 165 KG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks and gongrats to you too! I have one question: how glad are you for skipping push press to deadlift in the morning? =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow we are doing this with Joni

    http://donscrossfit.blogspot.fi/2012/10/saturday-2010-rowing-cleans-and-metcon.html

    ReplyDelete