Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tuesday 6.11: Front squat + metcon

Tuesday. Front squat 3-3-3-3-2 (max PR 112.5kg). Metcon 5 rounds of: 20 lunges with 40kg in the front rack position, 10 pull-ups, 5 hspu and 10 k2e. Time 15.17.

Handstand push-up

Strength. Front squat 3-3-3-3-2 (100, 105, 107.5, 110, PR 112.5kg). Nice! I got these going well from the very beginning. I've been able to add kilos to my max sets steadily and continuously. It's very heavy, no doubt but still it comes up and I don't compromise the form. I suppose my core is in good shape which enables these weights. I took 5 sets of 3 reps, only the last rep didn't come up. My belly was full as I got the second lift up on the last round so the last attempt was really no attempt. Today was a success with front squats, 14 reps over 100kg, that's something to be proud of :)

Personal record in front squat, 112.5kg

Metcon. Tough one, 5 rounds of weihgted lunges, pull-ups, hspu, k2e, time 15.17.
  • 5 rounds of
  • 20 lunges with a 40kg bar in the front rack position
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 knees-to-elbows
Huh, this was a tough one! It got to my heart, it got to my shoulders and it got to my hamstrings and quads. I intentionally made it longer than normally because I wanted to put my heart to test as well and also see what happens with those moves as I add more reps to a workout. First of all, the lunges. I held the barbell in the same way as if I did front squats. I put 40kg on the bar and did 20 lunges per round, with alternating legs, i.e. 10 per leg. For the first three rounds I went unbroken, for the last two rounds I did 14+6 reps. It really burnt my legs in the end and also caught my respiration.

My pull-ups have taken a step further. All rounds unbroken, boom baby! Haha, spectacular feeling as I got some kipping style to ease the movement. After pull-ups the next move was handstand push-ups, five of them each round. Today I finally made the decision to skip the foam roll and hit my head to the floor, very smart decision! This makes the movement many times harder compared to lowering head to a foam roll or something alike. For the first two rounds I went unbroken, third and fourth round 3+2 and the last round 2+2+1. It was tough, my shoulders were in pure pain, just the way I like it =) I should learn how to kip the handstand push-ups, it would make it so much easier, especially when fatigue come into play. After HSPUs the knees-to-elbows were easy, ten reps isn't that bad. All rounds unbroken, easiest movement in the workout.

My first round was around two and a half minutes, second round little less than three minutes and the last three rounds were just over three minutes on average.

Toni handstanding

Toni's workouts. Today Toni put all his focus on strength training, deadlift and bench press.
  • Deadlift, 3-3-3-3-3 (100, 110, 115, 120, 125kg)
  • Bench press, 3-3-3-3 (70, 75, 80, 85kg)

Toni deadlifting


2 comments:

  1. My workout today was very basic. My form in deadlift is still awful but maybe I can see some progress. Okay actually I can't see but I like to believe so. My bench press today was not that good. My shoulders were very sore so that made my training today a bit lazy (excuse)

    I realized today that I haven't given my enough recovery. For me 5-6 workouts in a week is pretty much. I'm not starting to skip any workouts but I have to plan my recovery better and really start to pay attention to nutrition and sleep.

    Next step in skill training is handstand push-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made some smart thinking. Rest enough so that you have energy to work hard. If you want to have as many training sessions as currently you could put more effort in skills training. Let's say you would train 6 times one week, you could have strength elements in four of them and skills on two of them. Some workouts could concentrate purely on rowing as well.

    This way you don't have to skip training, I know you want to work hard… However, it's probably smart to go along crossfit's original idea: 3 work days, 1 rest day. And constant variety! Rob Orlando once said: no program whatsoever, constant variety :)

    Those last handstands looked good, I can see you doing them in the future!

    ReplyDelete