Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday 10.3: Handstand, clean and jerk, complex, metcon

Monday. AM: Skills, handstand. Strength, clean & jerk (max PR 102.5kg). Bar complex, 3 sets of: 1 squat clean, 3 split jerk (across @ 80kg). Metcon, 10 rds of: 5 back squat (60kg), 30 du. Time 9.50. PM: Playing outdoors.

First day of my holiday and straight to Liikuntamylly. It was a tough day there, lots of action going on. Skills, strength, technique and metcon to crown the training day. Personal record also saw the daylight. Could have I asked for more. Don't think so! In the evening we went for a walk with Pauliina and I had the chance to play a little in the woods.



Skills.
  • Handstand
  • Handstand walk

It's been some time since I was walking with my hands last time. It felt pretty good and natural. I'm very happy about it. I was afraid in the autumn what would happen to my newly learned skills during the winter time as it's difficult to find a place where to practice this particular skill set. Last spring / summer I did quite a lot of handstand outdoors on grass but having the ground filled with snow it's a bit different thing. Below you'll see how it went today.

Handstand skills


Strength.
  • Clean & Jerk, max out
  • 5x60, 3x70, 2x80, 1x90, 1x95, 1x100, 1x102.5kg PR

My upper body was tight from last two days of training. Somehow it was stiff already yesterday evening and not any better as I woke up today. I tried to loosen it up by hanging from a pull-up bar at home. My goal today was to try some max efforts on clean & jerks. That's because Liikuntamylly is a place where you dare to push the limits. You can drop the barbell if you fail to lift it. Bringing 100k nicely to the front rack isn't a simple thing when you're at the limits. So it's safer to just drop it. That's why I tend to go to max when training at Liikuntamylly.



Did some traditional bar warm-up, good mornings, clean pulls, power cleans, front squats, push press, back squat and press behind the neck. The usual stuff. Then some more of cleans to get ready. Couple of clean & jerks with 40kg as well. Then I started working towards the heavier sets. The 60kg set I went in touch'n'go style, then I took singles all the way to the end. The clean part wasn't much of a thing. It was more of the jerk part that made this movement more challenging. It started to become a little wobbling at around 95kg. I'm not entirely satisfied in my technique on the 100+ weights but I'm definitely happy I got them up and a new record was born!

Barbell work recap

Complex.
  • 3 working sets of:
  • 1 squat clean + 3 split jerk
  • Across @ 80kg

This was supposed to concentrate more on jerk technique than anything else. My elbows started to become a bit sore - actually they came sore already on the c&j's - so instead of completing 5 sets I had to stop after 3 sets. Didn't want to risk anything. The pain wasn't feeling good. The weight itself was not heavy but I wasn't right on it with my technique today. I was pushing the bar too much forward, not straight upwards. Plus the feet work, not the most beautiful lunge I have seen. Still, the load itself was moving easily and that's always a positive sign! There was a time when 80kg was my max load shoulder-to-overhead so in these moments it's important to cherish those moments =)

Metcon round times

Metcon. Time 9.50
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 5 back squats, 60kg, from rack
  • 30 double unders

After letting my elbows recover for a while I came up with a metcon where elbows wouldn't play the main role. Back squats and double unders. That turned out to be a great combo for a metcon. Main goal of this metcon was indeed to work on the metabolic conditioning. Keep that body moving no matter how you feel. Just bare with it and focus on the next rep.



And I was able to complete that task. As you see from the round times it was a solid effort from the beginning to the end. Naturally the back squat wasn't that heavy, it wasn't the purpose of it. It was supposed to fatigue my legs a bit and let the double unders finish the man. I got the double unders unbroken if you don't count the very first set where I had a miss after 2 reps =) After that it was a smooth sail at the sea.

Metcon, all but the last about 10 du's

Plus I believe my form was quite good on the double unders. Somehow I might be able to make it more  economical, not to burn myself that much. Maybe circulating the rope a little faster so I wouldn't have to do that much work with my legs. I don't know, I feel pretty good about it. If you have tips, feel free to give 'em. I'll absorb it.

Anyways, this was a good workout where I got to keep breathing under control throughout the workout. It was about 50+ seconds per round. I walked to my timer between rounds just to tap on the clock and see how my round times look like afterwards. There I lost couple of seconds per round but that's a small thing.



It was an awesome training session at Liikuntamylly, no doubt! First of all, handstand skills, one of my favorites! Then PR in clean & jerk + some bar complex work. And the metcon was the cherry over the cake, my kind of training day.





Constant variety.

  • Wall climbs, 15 reps

We went to the woods for a recovery walk. Somehow we ended up at this wooden wall that I've had one encounter before. Even though it's not that high you still have to do surprisingly lot of work to get over it. At least it gets to the breathing in no time. Entire body is in tension when doing work. But most of all, this was fun! It was something like 15+ reps on the wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment