Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday 31.3: Handstand, Snatch, Ring dips

Monday. Skills, handstand. Strength, squat snatch (PR 67.5kg!). Ring dips, emom, 10 reps per minute, for 5min.

PR baby! Not that I was looking for it but accidentally turned out to smash my old records in the trash bin. It was a quicker session today with a little handstand training in the beginning, then squat snatches for strength and finally couple of ring dips.


Skills.

  • Handstand

This was the second time I've done handstand at my own gym. I've thought there's not enough room for handstand. Well, it is quite small on that spot where you can imagine doing handstand. But there's still enough room for practicing. Better than nothing, that's for sure. Soon it's time to go outdoors and there's at least a lot of grass areas to work on this one. Today I was a little cautious as there were a lot of people at the gym. Took a couple of sets anyway, trying to stay as tight as possible.





Strength. Snatch

  • Squat snatch
  • 5x30, 5x40, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 1x60, 1x65kg PR, 1x67.5kg PR

It's been ages since I snatched properly last time. Was it back in February? Now as we have big plates at small weights I thought there are no excuses not to work on my snatch. I pulled every rep from the floor this time. Because we haven't had big plates on 5kg / 10kg weights I've pulled almost every rep from hang position.

Squat snatch felt good from the very beginning. I mean those were easy reps. Can you imagine my previous max on squat snatch was a tight 57.5kg. Today I was doing 5x55kg so I knew it's about to update the figures. After having done those 5 reps I decided to take singles and see where the current level is. Took up 60kg which is more than I've ever squat snatched, that was easy! Because it came up so well I decided to add it up to 65kg right away. I'm not sure if I took one fail at this weight, I believe so. The bar stayed too much in front and I wasn't able to stabilize the movement. I took another rep pretty much right away and took it up nicely.


I knew there's still gas in the tank so I wanted to make it heavier. 70kg was a bit intimidating so I added only small plates, making it 67.5kg. I'm not sure if it was the first try or second attempt that I got it up. But I'm telling you, it felt great!!!  My power snatch PR before this was 62.5kg so this was definitely a PR in all possible senses. 10kg more than I've squat snatched ever, 5kg more than I've snatched in any style.

The biggest difference between today and other snatch days was courage. For some reason I had the balls to pull and drop under. It was also awesome to pull from the ground. It's a rarity for me. At Liikuntamylly or Eltsu it is possible but it's not common there either because I'm so used to pull from hang position. I got extreme kicks out of today's snatch session. Only thing that bugs me is that I wasn't able to get these reps on video =)


Workout. Emom

  • Ring dips, 10 reps, for 5min

This was a short one, just to work on weaknesses. Took 10 reps per minute, for 5 minutes, reaching a total number of 50 reps. Got 3 reps unbroken, then I had to cut the sets. Good one.



2 comments: