Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday 20.3: Skills, front squats

Thursday. Skills, Ring mu's. Strength, front squats 5-5-5-5-5 (100-110kg).

My body was a bit hammered after yesterday's Barbara workout. It feels pretty much all over my body. That's why I took it easier today, no metcon at all. Some ring skills to start with and then front squats that I haven't taken in a while. That was more than enough for today.


Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • False grip
  • Non false grip
This progress has been great. I'm very happy I'm able to get ring muscle-ups without using false grip. Let's be honest, those muscle-ups where I haven't used false grip are the first REPS I've been able to do, ever. False grip reps have been pretty much no-reps because the elbows are not locked out in the starting position. Whereas in normal grip my elbows are locked out in the beginning, I just utilize a proper kip and swing to get over the rings.

And it feels awesome to get up there! I took couple of false grip reps and then practiced on this "normal" reps. I'm gonna keep on practicing this skill for sure. I made a promise in the end of last year that I'll focus more on rings the upcoming year and I've fulfilled that promise to myself. Still, I'm not where I wanna be so more work is ahead of me!


How cool is this one? Let's see if we can build something alike with Kari =)



Strength.
  • Front squats 5-5-5-5-5 (100, 105, 110, 110, 110kg)
Now my back is in good shape after 14.3 so it's okay to squat again =) It took a couple of days to recover. I decided to do front squats instead of back squats. I'm gonna get back to squat rhythm and work on getting my legs and engine stronger.

As I wrote in the beginning, my legs and entire body was shocked after yesterday so I didn't max out today. I took 5's with loads between 100 and 110kg. It was a moderate weight for me. Had to concentrate to get the weights up with style but it was something I was able to manhandle. It's not light weight for me at all, I'd call it moderate. Max hovers around 130kg.

We learned from Dave Durante and his stall bars tips in the beginning and in the end of the training session with Pauliina. I got to say it really stretched the hamstrings and popped up the tension in upper back, especially when we pushed the head properly between shoulders. Take a look at his tips on Instagram right here.


How close is that? What is this Toni? You better get that next time!



2 comments:

  1. What a sled! Let's not focus on that professional version in our mini project ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I bet ours is as perfect in its own way!

    ReplyDelete