Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday 17.3: Ring mu's, metcon

Monday. Skills, ring muscle-ups (PR 2 unbroken reps!). Metcon, 4 rounds of: 8 push press (52.5kg), 16 pull-ups, 24 box.

C'MON!!! Great ring skills day! There was a clear success story created at the gym in the afternoon. I skipped strength for today. This is exactly the reason why I have diminished the amount of deadlifting in the past months. I can feel the aftermath in my lower back for a couple of days so it prevents me to go heavy on back squats. I had 100kg on back squat today, took a triple and felt like there's no good reason to continue. I racked the bar and started my metcon.



Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • 5 singles, false grip
  • 2 unbroken reps, no false-grip

This was an unbelievable feeling. I took singles with false grip to get a good feeling on the rings and boost my confidence level up in the sky. After having done 5 single reps without misses Pauliina talked me into practicing ring muscle-ups without false grip. The difference is huge for me. Traditionally I don't use that big a kip when doing muscle-ups but going without false grip it's impossible. I'll have to do a huge kip, the biggest possible.

I took a good grip on the rings with the rings locked in the center of my palms, took a deep breath, locked my elbows straight and let go of my feet on the floor. Just do as big kipping movement as possible and try to do the transition at the correct time and as fiercely as possible. I succeeded on each part as well as I could have. Once I was up there I decided why not try another rep in a row. It was so close last time when I was practicing this with my bro.

So I took another breath inside, created a good tension in my body, dropped from the dip position and followed another big kipping movement. I was able to make another explosive transition and landed in the deep dip position, just another dip and I had just gotten 2 unbroken ring muscle-ups for the first time in my life! I tried for a third one but this one it stayed a little short. This training session was very encouraging indeed!



Metcon.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 8 push press, 52.5kg
  • 16 pull-ups
  • 24 box, 61cm

I had written this one during the weekend but just modified it today by adding more reps per round. Instead of classical 5/10/15 reps I decided to hit a bigger volume per round. It turned out to be rather good combination of movements. The first two movements smoked my upper body and the big number of box jumps in a row got to my legs.

The push presses were pretty light in weight but there was a reason for that. First of all, there were 8 reps ahead of me every round, plus there were 16 pull-ups looming just around the corner. My goal was to go unbroken, each movement, each round. And I got them as planned. I realized the couplet of push press and pull-ups would turn out cruel if the bar was heavier than this. It was heavy enough for upper body anyway.


The pull-ups were challenging on the third and fourth round. But manageable anyway, I had to concentrate properly on the last 5 reps on these last rounds. My goal was also to go without breaking the set on the box jumps. I believe it's beneficial to practice on box jumps also for longer sets than 10-15 repetitions. It's a totally different thing to complete 15, 24 or 30 reps. It has more long-term effects when you bounce more of them in a row. My legs were jello after each set but the first.

After having finished the workout, I jumped off the box and my legs simply couldn't hold me. Had to drop to my knees for 3 seconds before getting back up and walk the pain away. I never go lying on my back after a workout, no matter how heavy it is. It's a principle. And I've noticed the pain goes away quicker when you force yourself to walk and shake it off. This metcon worked for its purpose, definitely!



No comments:

Post a Comment