Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday 3.3: Ring mu's, pair wod of burpees and pull-ups

Monday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Pair wod, pyramid: 1 to 10 and back to 1, burpees and pull-ups.

Today was an easier one. My main focus was supposed to be ring skills. Toros started to make suggestions of a pair workout late in the afternoon so I had no other possibility but to join him for a bodyweight metcon. I love pair wods, it's awesome to hit a metcon with a pal. We've done a few workouts with Toros in the past week or so. It turned out to be a simple one and this time a little easier.


Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Complete 5 reps
Last two sessions when I've done ring muscle-ups I've performed well and I wanted this streak to continue. I did some mental preparation and remembered once again how quickly the transition stage must happen. Those thoughts in my mind I chalked my hands and grabbed the rings.

I got up there on the first try and instantly my confidence was on the level it needs to be to get successful reps. It was time to do more. We had agreed with my training partner to do the workout together so I had some time to complete more reps while I waited for him to come. In the end it was 5 reps in total. Then Toros arrived and wanted to start moving without any warm-up =)




Pair wod.
  • 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
  • Pull-up + Burpee
  • One athlete completes one round, then the other athlete completes one round


This was a pyramid style workout, done with a partner. He completed 1 pull-up + 1 burpee, then I completed 1 pull-up + 1 burpee. Then Toros was going for 2+2, and after him I did 2+2. We continued this way up to 10 reps, adding 1 rep after each round. Once we hit 10 reps, we started to climb down rep by rep.

Once the other was performing, the other one had the chance to rest. Every time it was my time to do some work, I tried to do the movements as fast as I can. I did the pull-ups as strict version up to a certain point - maybe for the first 6 rounds - then started to use kip.


Toni's Crossfit Open workout 14.1


There was 100 reps for both movements. The pull-ups were easy. No prob with them. Burpees weren't as fun =) They started to feel in my upper body. But I was able to complete them without any issues, with fast speed. That's because there was always that recovery time as the Toros was doing his reps.

It was a fun workout to do, especially with a pal. Nothing too serious. I've had pretty good workouts lately and it was a good slot to take an easier training day.


Arnold Strongman 2014 Contest



8 comments:

  1. Why did You not took a part of open?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyvä Pony! Hienoa vääntöä!

    Sanotaan nyt vaikka niin että oli hyvä että oli joku muu laskemassa!

    - södernäs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, joo todella Juha! =)
    Hyvin Toni veti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for asking about the Open, appreciate it!

    I'm training crossfit just for my own pleasure, not for competing purposes. I've had that competitive lifestyle already earlier in my sports career and am nowadays training just to get fitter overall, just for my own sake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's ok if you want to rest from competitions, but i know competitions sky high the adrenaline. In my case, but i guess i am yet still young :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got that right Matt! That's for sure the performance builds up when you're in a competition, no doubt about it! Even for an old fart like me =)

    I participated in the Open last year and managed to do a PR snatch in the very first workout 13.1. Before the workout my 1rep max was 52.5kg, but as there was 60kg snatches ahead of me I managed to sneak in couple of those. And definitely would not have been able to do so without the competition. Same happened with my pal Toni who improved 10kg.

    We had some issues with the locations and filming of the workouts last year and that really bugged me. My first attempt of workout 13.1 was ruled off because the camera angle was not good. On the 13.3 workout we couldn't find time and a good place to perform as we didn't have the needed equipment (wall ball + rings) for the workout.

    Main point being it was a hassle all the way. I enjoy the spirit of competition and understand the positive side of it. On the downside it was difficult to arrange all the videotaping and settings. Because we tried to record all our performances at our "home gym", there's currently a prohibition to video tape anything =)

    So I'm taking a step back of the Open and cheer for my buddies instead. That doesn't' mean I wouldn't do some of the Open workouts if I find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining why you didn't take a part of open. And thanks for interesting blog you keep. Hoping for good training and no insurance only development! JT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words! -Don

    ReplyDelete