Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday 11.3: Two pair wods + row intervals

Tuesday. AM: Pair wod, 5rds of: 200m run, 10 burpee broad jump, 2 bar mu. Pair wod, 5rds for both: 5 deads (100kg), 20 wall ball, 15 box. PM: row intervals, 10 rds of: 300m row easy, 300m row fast, 60sec rest.

Second day of my holiday and it's feeling in my body. I guess usually when people are on holiday they're taking it easier and charging batteries. For me, it's quite the opposite. There are no schedule-related problems and I can more easily find time to workout. So I met with my bro at Liikuntamylly in the morning for couple of pair workouts, and in the evening we went to "home gym" with Pauliina for some rowing intervals and mobility.



Metcon. Pair wod
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 burpee broad jump
  • 200m run
  • 2 bar muscle-ups

My brother has been following competitorswod.com programming for about couple of months now and he usually does metcons before strength. So we went by that plan today as well. After warming up a little - indeed, just a little - we started doing work. There was a newcomer movement: burpee broad jump, which basically means you first complete a burpee, then do a broad jump. As simple as that but it gives an extra twist to the movement. Try and you know.

While Sipa was running, I was doing burpees. As he was finished, we changed roles. I went running and he completed the burpee jumps. After both had done both athletes, we did the unbroken bar muscle-ups in turns. First I did 2, then Sipa did 2, and then we headed for another round.

Maybe the burpee broad jumps were the nastiest of the 3 elements. Burpees themselves are not the funniest movements. Add "explosive" broad jump in to the mix and it's even less fun. Somewhere in the process it still turns into fun… It burns but feels good.



Overhead squats.
  • 5x40, 3x50, 3x60, 1x65kg
We had plans to hit heavier weights on overhead squats. I had plans of hitting 60+ weights on 5 sets for triples or something like that. However, we both had some elbow issues that bothered the barbell work. I didn't wanna risk anything and cut the squats after 65kg. I had a slight technical error in the last set, the bar leaned forward and I lost the barbell. The bar itself didn't weigh that much in any of the set. Sipa nailed 8 reps @ 70kg. Good job bro!

Metcon. Pair wod
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 deadlift, 100kg
  • 20 wall ball, 5kg, 5m
  • 15 box jump, 60cm
This was created on the spot. We were thinking about smashing some ohs and squat snatch for strength but this was definitely a better idea. First we thought of doing a simple bodyweight metcon but then we threw in a lightweight deadlift in to play. And I'm glad we did, to have some strength element there too. It was intentionally light. There's only 5kg wall balls at the place so we had to settle for that. It would have been awesome to have rx'd wall ball (9kg). Instead, we threw the ball to about 5m instead of the traditional 3m distance. The box felt like it was about the same as Rogue's box (61cm).

Bought some rock tape today 
This workout was a good fun metcon in the end. I wished the wall ball was heavier. Other than that, the entire point was to keep the guys moving, the weights were not the thing. More focus on metabolic condition. And it served pretty well.

Cardio.
  • Row intervals
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 300m row easy, sub 1.55 pace
  • 300m row sprint, about 1.45 pace
  • 1m rest
After eating, having a nap (love the holiday that allows this!) and letting body absorb the recovery, we put the training cloths on again and headed to our home gym. My workout consisted purely on rowing. I saw this on Garrett Fisher's Instagram, he did it with his sister, and wrote it was "terrible". Now I know why. It was a 6km interval work. Naturally he rowed a bit faster, 5 seconds in both "easy" and the "sprint" part.

It took a total of about half an hour, including rest
I really believe doing row intervals are a great way to build up the engine within you. It's cruel, that's for sure but the pros overcome the nasty feeling during the workout. Plus I'm fast in recovering from these intervals. It's not that much the breathing in rowing that makes me sick, it's more of the burn in my legs. I'm able to handle the heavy breathing. Rowing intervals should be a compulsory thing every week.

In the end of the training session I did lots of mobility, used foam roll, lacrosse ball and resistance band plus traditional stretching. Felt very good to do some body maintenance. More foam rolling ahead of me in the evening.


Here's Toni's CF Open 14.2, result was 71 reps, good job man!

)



No comments:

Post a Comment