Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday 18.3: Oly, compwod metcon

Tuesday. Olympic lift strength, 8 working sets of 2 clean + 1 jerk. Metcon, emom, odd min: 7 power clean (60kg) + 7 box, even min: 7 t2b + 7 wall ball.

It was time for oly lifting today. I was thinking about making snatch part of it today as well but leaned finally towards c&j type of action for strength and cleans in the metcon. I went pretty high on the strength, not max but heavy-ish anyway. The metcon was from compwod, a hint from my bro. I had plenty of time for mobility after the session. Mobility and sauna, that was a good relaxation.



Strength.
  • 8 working sets of:
  • 2 squat cleans + 1 split jerk
  • Weights 80, 85, 90, 90, 92.5, 92.5, 90, 90kg
I had clean & jerk in my plans but I wanted to do something a little different. I ended up with a complex of 2 squat cleans and then finished it with a split jerk. My goal was to work on my jerk technique also with a little more fatigued body after the 2 cleans.

It went pretty well in my opinion this time. I took some reps with 40kg, then sets with 60kg and 70kg before completing the sets between 80-92.5kg. The cleans brought no problems whatsoever. The jerks were tougher than the cleans. But I kept the weights at a level I know I can nail any day. My original plan was to hit couple of sets with 90kg. It turned out I managed to do several of them. Took 2 sets with a little heavier as well.

After I had the bar cleaned to front rack position, I took a deep breath, kept the tension inside and carried out the "dip and drive" stage and was able to lock out my elbows right away. Then just bringing the feet together for a full rep. It was a good strength workout.




Metcon. Emom, from competitorswod.com
  • Odd minutes, 7 power clean (60kg) + 7 box jumps, 61cm
  • Even minutes, 7 toes-to-bar + 7 wall ball (10kg)
My brother told me about this workout that he saw at compwod. He said it was one that can eat a man alive. Now I know why. It was tough towards the end. Not otherwise but the power cleans began to come heavy. I was able to complete all movements unbroken each round. It took about half a minute to get these reps done per minute, I didn't look at the timer that precisely but it was around 30 seconds.

The odd minutes were clearly tougher than even minutes. I don't have access to a wall ball at the gym so I've replaced that my grabbing a 10 or 15kg bumper plate and completed a similar movement patter as with a wall ball. Plus I did the movement upwards in a fierce way as if I was throwing the weight up on the wall.

It was a different type of workout as there was this spare time after you had completed the needed reps, no matter if it was odd or even minutes. That definitely helped. Compare if I had done 7 rounds of these 4 different elements, 7 reps per round. It would have been awful. As this was already nasty in the end.



Another CF Open 14.3, Bobby Noyce is a beast




3 comments:

  1. Mä ehdotin sulle planchin treenausta, näköjään suuntaatkin tohon shoulder standiin -noh, mikäs siinä!

    Vetihän toi bobby kovan setin tossa, mutta en oo kyllä ihan varma onko tollanen mave tekniikka noissa vikoissa vedoissa ihan tervettä. Ja tolla jätkällä kuitenkin oikeesti on tekniikkaa ja voimatasot enemmän kuin kunnossa, paskemmalla kondiksella kun noita yrittää veivata niin kyllä loukkaantumisriski on aika kova...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha joo noi parallettes-tuet olis mageet, niin pystyis kikkailee noita oman kehon temppuja vähän eri lailla. Onks ideoita miten niitä reenais ilman noita härpäkkeitä?

    Oon tsekkaillu Bobbya pidemmän aikaa tubessa, se on aika hiski kaveri, siitä ei pääse mihkään. Mut oikeessa olet, noi mavet oli hävyttömän näköisiä loppua kohden, pahaa teki joka kerta kun se niksautti ittensä suoraks. Janari on North Central regionin kovin jätkä, ainakin tällä hetkellä.

    Onks muuten renkaat tullut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aikanaan intissä tein ihan tuoleilla dippejä yms. Tossa astetta kovempi crossfittaaja opettelee planchea, ja apuna boksit:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Nqg0ySjHw

    Renkaat tuli - ja samalla myös 10 senttiä lunta takapihalle joten hetken joutuu odottelemaan ennenkuin saa laitettua paikoilleen...kevättä odotellessa.

    ReplyDelete