Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday 27.6: Cleans, Hspu's, T2b's

Friday. Technique, power clean (up to 90kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 5 hspu, 8 power clean, 12 t2b. Cashout, 30 hspu.

My body felt like a wreck waking up to this morning. The 50's workout was tough on Wednesday and the results can be felt in my posterior chain. Plus having done bench yesterday after a 2-month break feels in upper body. Heh so I feel like I've done some work! Today my focus was on a metcon, consisting of power cleans, handstand push-ups and t2b's.



Barbell. For technique
  • Power clean
  • 8x40, 5x60, 5x70, 5x80, 1x90kg
Jon was doing the Karjalan Kovin qualifying workouts as we were at the gym together. After he'd done his workouts he took some power cleans with me. I just wanted to get some reps with heavier weights before starting my metcon. I focused on bringing the bar to upper thighs before shrugging my shoulders. It felt like the bar obeyed my commands.

I took all sets unbroken in touch'n'go style. They must have looked pretty similar all the way. On the 90kg lift and maybe the last rep of the 80's I had to widen my feet a bit more than normally. Other than that they were as good lifts as I have potential for. By the way, this is probably the heaviest weight I have power cleaned.



Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 8 power clean, 60kg
  • 12 toes-to-bar
Having done those power cleans was a good warm-up for this upcoming workout. I also took some hspu's and t2b's to engage every muscle in my body before hitting it. I was able to do all sets unbroken, that was the main goal here. Wasn't rushing against the clock this time even though I completed it with good pace anyway.

Hspu's were the easiest part of this one for sure. I felt like I had plenty of juice to complete them. Could have been more reps every round and I still think I would have done well with them. Power cleans were much tougher. Not the weight itself but my grip was about to bail on me. I got them done but I was squeezing the bar as hard as I could on the last rounds. Hook grip would definitely help - I suppose - but that's a new thing to me so I'm not that comfortable with it yet.

On some of these sets I used hook grip but my thumb kind of slipped little by little and by the 4th rep it was always gone so I changed to normal grip on the fly. Guess that's something to work for in the future. Okay, forearms were devastated from those cleans and after every set of t2b's they were gone totally.

This got my breathing skyrocketing and that was the purpose. Hspu's rolled very well today and the other movements went unbroken too even though my forearms were dying.



Cashout.
  • 30 handstand push-ups
I had something left and being inverted felt very good so I decided to make it a cashout with hspu's. My goal was to do 3 sets of 10 reps. Got 2 sets unbroken, then on the 3rd set it was 8-2. This was a very good hspu-day, totaling over 60 reps and body appreciating the work put in.




No comments:

Post a Comment