Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thursday 12.6: Snatch, CF Open 12.3

Thursday. Strength, snatch (max 55kg). Metcon, CF Open 12.3, 18min amrap of: 15 box, 12 shoulder-to-overhead (52.5kg), 9t2b. Result, 274 reps.

Decided to hit it hard today. If you don't know what to do and want to have a workout which makes you see god in the middle of the workout, choose a Crossfit Open workout. They all have that trait in common. They make you dig in the pain cave, deep. But once you've finished it, the feeling is great! You achieved something beyond words. Today was that day again. Prior to completing CF Open 12.3 I took some snatches.




Snatch.
  • Snatch balance technique
  • Squat snatch 5x30, 40kg
  • Power snatch (touch'n'go) 5x50, 50, 52.5, 55kg
It was cool to get some snatches in my system. I took some squat snatches to begin with. I wasn't the most confident with them because it's been a while since last time. But the movement itself is awesome and probably the most technical movement there is. Especially when you go from ground to squat snatch below parallel. I've taken a record lift at 67.5kg squat snatch. Today I wasn't close to that number.

I took couple of reps squat snatch @ 50kg but they stayed above parallel and I couldn't find a natural path all the way down so I decided not to force it. Instead, I worked on power snatches and they felt goooood! Couple of sets, all 5's. And the point was exactly to go touch'n'go style, without resetting grip on the ground. The last set was demanding but I got it as planned and left the lifting platform as a winner.



Metcon. CF Open 12.3. Result 274 reps (7rds + 7 S2O). PR. Compare to 13.11.2014
  • 18 min amrap of:
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm
  • 12 shoulder-to-overhed, 52.5kg
  • 9 toes-to-bar
Okay, my upper body felt a little tired after those snatches. I took couple of push presses and push jerks with 52.5kg bar and those felt heavy. I was a little worried how this workout would turn out =) Especially as I recalled this being heavy as shit. CF Open workouts are always tough, Dave Castro makes sure that is universal feeling among crossfitters.

Okay, back to the workout. Box jumps unbroken. I think I've found a good and efficient way to perform box jumps. This spring I've done hundreds / thousands of them so I guess my technique has developed. And I can push my self through them, no matter the number of reps. That's something I'm pretty proud of.


Milko is a bit quicker going under the bar than me...


On those shoulder-to-overheads I basically went on with push jerks. For 2 rounds I did them unbroken. From then on I took them in 2 sets each round. Maybe once or twice as 6+6, then 7+5 to the end. And I got 7 reps on the 8th round as time hit 18min. This was a different strategy compared to last time where I completed every round of S2O's unbroken. However, it took me more time to recover before and after the jerks.

Now I was able to move much sooner to toes-to-bar. This resulted in a better end result than last time. I was a bit surprised to performing better. I thought that cutting the barbell work would cause harm but then again, I tried to move faster with shorter transitions. And I believe that was exactly what happened.

This workout is always a great test of fitness and today it sucked all my energy. Had to walk the fatigue away for some time before jumping on the rower to flush my body and put the fluids moving. I rowed for 1 kilometer with easy pace, just to recover. Great session!!!



I'd like to see Dan Bailey hit the podium with Froning and Spealler. That would be quite a combo, humble guys with super work ethic. There are such tough guys in the pool anyway that it's gonna be a sick competition, I love it! You've got Ben Smith, Jason Khalipa, Josh Bridges, Scott Panchik and the "black horse" Matthew Fraser just to mention few. Or is Matt a black horse or just a freaking monster, I don't know but his work capacity is tremendous.

Anyone of these guys could take the Games home but it seems like the champ himself doesn't have any weaknesses and that's really the key to success in crossfit. We have similar rivalry going on at the females' side so stay tuned for the Games!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment