Saturday, October 24, 2015

Saturday 24.10: Squat, Cupper

Saturday. Back squat 5x3 @ 130kg. Chipper, 50 wb, 40 pull-up, 30 cal row, 20 power clean (60kg), 10 burpee, 20 clean, 30 cal row, 40 pull-up, 50 wb. Time, 21.13.

This was exceptional day as I went to work for the day, and then hit the gym in the late afternoon. My leg has recovered well, and after a week of being careful I finally had the chance of doing heavier squats. Felt super! Don't know how I came up with the chipper but that killed me.



Strength.
  • Back squat 5x3 @ 130kg
Built up to this weight by doing sets at empty bar, 60kg, 90kg, 100kg, 110, and 120kg. Different kinds of sets. From 10 to 1 rep. My plan was to hit the triples with as little recovery on top as possible. And rest was determined at 2:00 between each set. This plan worked well. Last 2 sets were tough as I would have liked to get an extra 30 seconds of rest.

It would have also helped to stay on top and breath for a while before going back down. That made the last rep a good battle. You can see the first 2 sets and last set on the video recap below. The rest of the movements I captured on the video just for fun. They were not taken from the chipper itself.

Squatting felt great. This is such a basic movement that a man should do all the time. I've been missing this one. It seems like it's been ages since last squat session. This weight was perfect for today.



Chipper.
  • 50 wall ball, 9kg
  • 40 pull-up
  • 30 calorie row
  • 20 power clean, 60kg
  • 10 burpee
  • 20 power clean, 60kg
  • 30 calorie row
  • 40 pull-up
  • 50 wall ball, 9kg
This was straight from hell. Don't know why I actually did this. But I had decided that beforehand and stuck to that plan. Pull-ups were the ones that freaked me out. It wasn't a surprise they would start to suck because of the volume. Not that bad if it was in sets of 10-15 reps per round but chippers are cruel as you have to do a good bunch of reps in a row.

Wall balls are maybe a little too low compared to the rx'd height. Id' like to throw the ball a notch higher. But this is the only place where I can move the ball. It still works very well even despite this deficiency. Burned my shoulders big time. Especially on the way down, as the last movement. On my way up I did 25-15-10. Didn't wanna gas out as it was the first element. This was obviously gonna be a long one so making a mistake on the first minute would have catastrophic consequences. On the way down the wb's were 20 at first, then 11 reps and then I decided to keep moving no matter what. Finished the last 19 reps in a row.



Pull-ups were 15-10-5-5-5 on the way up, and 10-10-6-6-4-4 in the last minutes. Damn they got tough! Okay, 80 reps is definitely doable, not a new thing by any means but completing 40 repetitions before being able to move forward made the difference.

Rowing at this point was not a sprint, on neither times. I just tried to think about a happy place and grind on. Power cleans were in sets of 5 reps all the way. It was basically 40 reps in sets of 5. There was just a bunch of burpees in the middle. Those were fine, such a short amount of them anyway. This was a great workout. Challenging but it was awesome to fight through it. It took some time but I was pretty much a dead man after the wod. I still did 20 pull-ups after getting myself back in the game to reach a total of 100 reps in total.



No comments:

Post a Comment