Sunday, August 23, 2020

Sunday 16.8: Intervals

Sunday. Intervals of box jumps, push-ups and running.

Usually when I step outside our front door straight to my garage gym I have some sort of plan of the workout I'm gonna hit today. Or if I don't have, it somehow comes up from somewhere. Today I had to struggle to come up with something smart. This looked easy on paper but it got nasty.


Intervals.
  • 2 rounds, alternating between A and B of:
A)
  • 25 box jumps
  • 400m run
  • 25 box jumps
B)
  • 40 push-ups
  • 400m run
  • 40 push-ups
This type of workout is very rare in my programmin. I mean this A & B type of stuff where you mix two different workouts and alternate between those every round. Anyway, it's been an eternity since doing box jumps. There's no sensible reason why that has not taken Place but still, it has not happened. Back in the days when I trained indoors at a gym, box jumps were one of my strongest movements. It was like I didn't get fatigued that much jumping up and down. Those are much harder nowadays but Still rather smooth.

My goal on both of these workouts was to run faster than normalli when I go for that classic home street run back and forth that 200m stretch. On that A piece, it definitely became a factor that my running wore me a bit down so it was interesting to acoompany that with 50 box jumps. Damed my legs were jello after that first rounds. Luckily I foresaw this workout and understood that there must be abundant of recovery time. The rest / recovery ratio was 1:1. That means to say it took me about 4min of work, followed by 4min of rest time.

So whereas those total 100 box jumps took the energy outta my legs, the B version obviously was tougher on the upper body. A total of 160 push-ups probably gives a hint that my shoulders and triceps were smashed. God damned the last 40 reps was tough. I did the latter round of workout B with parallettes. That made it a bit more challenging but somehow the movement pattern was better. I didn't have much warm-up prior to the workout and started pushing with cold upper body. Thus, I needed the movement pattern be optimal.

All in all, great workout once again


No comments:

Post a Comment