Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday 4.5: Hero wod Bradshaw

Saturday. Hero wod Bradshaw. Time 28.33

My programming still includes benchmark workouts and hero workouts. Today was time for another cruel and long workout. Last weekend it was Seven, today Bradshaw was waiting for me at the home Box. Toni did front squat strength and then a barbell complex type of workout.

Stretching in the end with my baby

Bradshaw. Time 28.33

  • 10 rounds of:
  • 3 handstand push-ups
  • 6 deadlifts, 102.5kg
  • 12 pull-ups
  • 24 double unders

Beforehand I looked at the movements and thought this ain't gonna be that tough. That's the most stupid thought you might have before a crossfit workout =) I've clearly developed in handstand push-ups but I'm still a bit concerned when I see them in a workout. Usually at some point of the wod my strength in triceps and shoulder seem to fade away even though I apply kipping style. I was confident that deadlifts would not be a problem because the weight was not heavy. The second thing after HSPU's I was worried about was the amount of pull-ups, 120 reps total… That's a lot! And finishing it with 240 double unders, didn't know how to react to that number.

I put the clock running and started working. The result was that I completed each and every handstand push-up as strict, that means no kipping whatsoever, not during the entire workout, c'mon, that was progress. I was very proud of it. I started doing them strict and just felt very good during the whole workout, had no problems with them.

Pull-ups in Bradshaw


Deadlifts were as light as I thought beforehand, they were also unbroken throughout the entire 10 rounds. I had to catch a breath between these two movements and I didn't rush during the Bradshaw at any point, I took my time with the breaks because I thought moving too quickly to the next movement would cause harm later on because this was known to be a long workout.

How about the pull-ups? I did them unbroken in the beginning and from 4th round on I kept telling to myself that try to do also the next round unbroken. Round after round I talked myself up to do them without dropping from the pull-up bar. Towards the end it got tougher and tougher. On the last 2 rounds Toni came to cheer on next to me and helped me to finish all 10 rounds unbroken! All 120 of them.




The only movement that I didn't manage to perform unbroken were the double unders. My legs were smashed from yesterday's high-rep bodyweight back squat / snatch metcon and it turned out difficult to keep on jumping. I'm not sure but I'd say 5-6 rounds were unbroken, but some had to be taken in 2-3 sets.

All in all, I'm very satisfied to how well I did the movements. And there were a good number of reps each movement. The point were I could have done better was the transition phases. I rested for some time as you can see in the video below. It was difficult to pace myself and to know how quickly I should have done the movements in order to keep a good and steady pace and still not go too fast to burn myself down.

9th round of Bradshaw



Toni's workouts. Front squat 4x80, 3x85, 3x90, 1x95kg.

  • Wod. EMOM for 12 minutes. 60kg on the barbell.
  • 1 power clean
  • 1 hang squat clean
  • 2 front squats
  • 2 push jerks


Below you'll see two videos from Pony's training today. First front squats and then one round of his emom training with the 60kg barbell. He managed to do all reps as planned.

Here's Toni's front squats with 85kg



Toni's EMOM training


No comments:

Post a Comment