Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday 29.5: HSPU, run metcon, handstand

Wednesday. Hspu. 6 x ME, 33 reps. Metcon. 4rds of: 400m, 50 squats. Time 11.31. Handstand walk.

Today I skipped morning training because I was supposed to meet a friend at a running track for a classical workout of running and air squats. Prior to that we went to the gym with Pauliina for some handstand push-up training.


Handstand push-ups.
  • 6 sets of max effort hspu
  • Result: 7, 4, 6, 5, 6, 5 reps. Total of 33 reps.
This was skills but still strength training. I took 6 sets of handstand push-ups. Each set until I can't do them any more. I felt a bit stiff on upper body and didn't see the best of results. However, I managed to complete 33 reps in total, good number for me. In the beginning went strict, in the end kipping. After those sets I did something I normally don't do. I took some training concentrating in my arms, movements outside crossfit, except push-ups, 45 of them.

Metcon. Time 11.31. Compare to 30.7.2012.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 400m run
  • 50 air squats
Main idea at the track was my friend to complete his first ever crossfit workout. I planned him to go for one of the first wods I ever did: 4 rounds of 400m run and 50 squats with own bodyweight. Killer combo for lower body. I wanted him to sweat like pig and get his breathing go fast. And we managed to reach that goal. While I was there, I decided to give it a shot myself as well. My back is a bit sore from yesterday's deadlift metcon but it was manageable. I decided beforehand that I wouldn't take this workout so seriously.

I believe my running wasn't the fastest possible today. This was probably only the third running metcon in months. It was nice to do that after a big break and I'd like to incorporate running into my training program on a weekly basis now as the spring is turning to summer in Finland. The weather today was just beautiful and warm, perfect!

I have no idea of the time after each round or run. Could have probably taken it faster with the runs but on the air squats my hamstrings were burning. That's another movement that has not been seen on Don's Crossfit in ages. I'll do this again this summer, it's a good and simple workout to reach some goals. And I'm gonna break that record of mine. Last summer I ran way more.

I'm very proud of Marko completing his first crossfit workout ever. The first mental barriers have been crushed on his upcoming journey to good health and fitness. Right after the workout he felt good about it even though in the middle of the workout he had to fight those unpleasant thoughts of giving up. That's a familiar feeling but once you get to know your body better, you know how much burden it can take. And you are always able to finish a workout.

Handstand. After this metcon I took some time to train for the handstand and handstand walk. Was afraid it's not gonna turn out good after those hspu's just 1 hour ago but luckily I was wrong =) I was able to find good stability and for some unknown reason I felt very comfortable and "at home" being inverted. I was able to focus on straight core and even when my body started moving, I was able to stabilize it and find form again. At points I was able to stay in the correct position for 5-10 seconds.

Here's some real work being done by Chris Spealler



Hmm, box jump in a pool..?




No comments:

Post a Comment