Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday 8.5: Squats, metcon

Wednesday. Back squats 5-5-5-5-2 (max 130kg). Metcon of rowing and box jumps.

I wanted to take advantage of yesterday's rest day and focus that on squat strength training. In addition to strength I also completed some rowing and box jumps to get my heart beating. Toni is having a second day off.



Strength. 5-5-5-5-2 (100, 110, 120, 125, 130kg). It felt better! I've written earlier that for some reason my squats have been a little difficult lately and maybe it's because of lack of rest days for my legs, go figure. Everything else rolls nicely but on squats it's difficult to reach those max weights that I know I'm able to hit on a good day. So I wanted to test squatting after a rest day and I really felt better.

The other thing I didn't want to compromise was the depth of the squat. I'm definite they were great today. Last Friday I did that squat / dumbbell snatch metcon, in which I performed the deepest squats ever. The feeling in my hamstrings for 2-3 days after that was painful, in a great way! And I need to have that feeling after squats.

I'll post a 130kg video afterwards, for some reason I'm not able to add it now.


Metcon. Time 14.22.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm
Needed to have a heartbeat metcon to follow the strength training. Combination of rowing and box jumps was the answer. I stayed on 145-1.50 / 500m pace from beginning to the end. I knew the rowing was not going to be the one bottleneck time wise. It's the box jumps or the transition between the two. For me, it was the transition. Rowing went well, quick sprints. It doesn't mean a whole lot if you gain or lose 5 seconds in the rowing part, it's more about whether you can nail the box jumps unbroken and how long a break you'll take between movements.

I was able to do them without that many breaks. Even though it feels like I wasn't taking any extra breaks between the two movements, there are still time to be cut off easily. I should just quickly jump on the rower when finishing the box jumps and vice versa. Tomorrow I'm going after olympic lifts and a probably a benchmark workout. Looking forward to it!

Individual Regional Event no. 4


Individual Regional Event no. 5



It's gonna be Finland against USA in the ice hockey world championship games, starting in just a few minutes!




No comments:

Post a Comment