Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday 5.5: Bench, bench/row metcon

Sunday. Bench singles (max PR 97.5kg). Metcon, 3 rounds of 1.000m row, bench 15x70kg.

For some reason that workout I did the day before yesterday still takes its toll on my legs. I tried to stretch them but still my walking is not pretty =) Anyway, that's only a good feeling as I know a lot of work has been done. This muscle pain had a lot of effect on today's programming. Bench press singles was what I started with and then the metcon included 3k row and semi-heavy bench presses. Tony didn't show up in the morning, we'll have to see if he's doing his training in the evening. Pauliina joined the workout.



Strength. Bench press 1-1-1-1-1-1 (70, 80, 85, 90, 95, PR 97.5kg). Also tried 100kg, didn't come up this time. I had not planned to do singles but I changed my mind as I entered the gym. It turned out to be a good decision as I hit a new personal record, adding 2.5kg to previous one, now it's 97.5kg.

I took some high-rep sets with only the bar, then 40 and 60kg before moving on to singles. The only purpose was to find that one rep max load at the moment. It seems to be quite close to 3-digit numbers, I'm getting there some day.

Bench press, PR 97.5kg

Metcon. Time 20.40

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1.000m row
  • 15 bench press, 70kg

Following the strength training I did a rather long metcon with rowing and bench press. I was thinking about the amount of rounds and the bench reps. Decided on the above except that I had planned to do only 10 bench presses. On the first round I continued to 15 and stayed with that rep scheme till the end. My rowing times per rounds were 3.30, 3.37 and 3.41.

On the bench first round was 6+5+4, on the second it was 6+5+2+2 and it was 6 reps on the first try, then a triple and maybe singles from then on, it started to get heavy all of a sudden. I didn't mind about the clock running so I took some time in the transition. That bench press seemed to suck my time as I couldn't do them unbroken. I still consider the weight was ideal for me. It was as heavy as I wanted it to be. Had I done it with 60kg, it would have been too light.

This proved to me it's possible to find some good workouts with bench press as well. I'm not going to add bench in to my schedule a lot more but I'll try to do it once in a while to add strength in chest, shoulders and triceps.


Did some mobility and stretching with Pauliina in the end.

Toni's workouts. Time 8.36

  • 200m run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 200m run
  • 10 wood thrusters
  • 200m run
  • 25 weighted lunges
  • 200m run
  • 50 double unders
  • 200m run

Pony went outdoors in the evening to do a metcon. Got some pictures from it below.



Pull-ups

"thrusters"


Front squat =)


1 comment:

  1. Toni's workout is updated, take a look at some pictures of him working out with his dog =)

    ReplyDelete