Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday 14.5: Clean and jerk, snatch, death by snatch

Tuesday. Clean & Jerk (70-75kg), Snatch (max 50kg). Death by snatch. Result 34 reps.

My strength training was shorter than regularly. Took olympic lifting for starters with about 80% of max, stayed there for few sets. Then metcon was death by snatch with the same weight.


Strength. Olympic lifting.
  • Clean & Jerk 3x3 (70, 75, 75kg)
  • Snatch 3x3 (50, 50, 50kg)
Triples for both clean & jerks and snatch. I aimed to keep the weights same. On the c&j I decided to add 5kg to the pre-described 70kg after the first set. It felt quite heavy though. I believe I wasn't on top of my game at the olympic lifts today. However, I was able to complete the lifts with style, on both movements. I took the cleans as power cleans. It's been a while since doing power cleans because I have been training squat cleans. It was nice to see I can lift heavier weights as power versions too. It was the jerk part that was more difficult today. On the snatch, I believe I did pretty decent on the strength training.

Metcon. Result 7 rounds + 6 reps. Total of 34 reps.
  • Death by snatch, 50kg
  • 1 rep on the 1st minute
  • 2 reps on the 2nd minute
  • 3 reps on the 3rd minute and so on until you can't keep up with the rep scheme.

Originally I planned to do 60kg death by clean & jerk but the jerk didn't feel good so I switched it to death by snatch. The idea of the workout is to do 1 repetition on the first minute. On a running clock, complete 2 repetitions on the second minute. Continue for as long as you can not perform the amount of reps needed to continue to next round / minute.

My result today was full 7 rounds and on the 8th minute "death" walked in and I managed only 6 reps. That resulted in a total of 34 reps in the workout with 50kg. The first rounds are easy. No wonder as you think about it. However, on the 5th round I really felt the burden in my heart. I still did the 6th round unbroken. On the 7th round I did 4 reps at first try, dropped the bar and finished the last 3 reps. There wasn't many extra seconds left in the clock so I had to continue to next round. I did 2 reps, then 2, then singles. There was one failed rep in between as well.

As I wrote earlier, I felt I wasn't at my best. Still, I believe I got what I wanted from today's training. I was able to work on my olympic lift techniques, enabled strength training and improved on my metabolic condition. To improve on that metcon's result, I should have stayed focused and determined to complete the 7th round quicker. After dropping the bar after 4 reps, should have done the rest quicker. That way I would have got more rest before entering the round of 8's. Now it was difficult to grab the bar immediately and give my best shot. I simply wasn't able to bring the bar overhead and that's why there were failed rep as well.




1 comment:

  1. I had some back squats (max 3 was 110 kg) and also cleans (power, hang and squat) with 55 kg. Total reps was 45. Goal was to make my heart pumping and focusing on form. I'm travelling so I have to do some extra effort to keep my training schedule rolling

    ReplyDelete