Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wednesday 15.5: Back squat, OHS, Finnish CF Final 2012: Karhureiret

Wednesday. Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 (max 135kg), OHS 1-1-1-1-1 (max PR 65kg). Karhureiret, time 15.51.

Main workout of the day was "Karhureiret", loose translation would be "bear's thighs", referring to the amount of leg work ahead of you. This was the final event at the crossfit finland finals in 2012. I've done it once before, today I repeated it with a little heavier load. Before the workout I took singles in back squat and overhead squats.

Going for 130kg
Strength.
  • Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 (110, 120, 130, 135, 140f)
  • Overhead squat 1-1-1-1-1 (50, 55, 60, 65f, PR 65kg)

Those back squats felt good and I was able to go deep enough with heavier loads as well. After 130kg the game changed and the barbell became heavy. The fourth set - 135 - was successful but the last one with 140kg (tied PR attempt) failed to come up all the way. Haven't gone over 130kg in a while as I remember so I received some confidence for future.

On the overhead squats I was determined to go for new max numbers. Previous record was 60kg so I started my sets from 50kg and added 5kg per lift. On the first attempt of 65kg I failed to come up from the hole even though I landed there nicely but on the second one I nailed it all the way! PR 65kg. I was ready to move on.


Karhureiret. Time 15.51. Compare to 26.1.2013

  • 10 back squat, 100kg
  • 50 kettlebell swings, american style
  • 20 front squat, 80kg
  • 40 box jumps, 61cm
  • 30 overhead squats, 40kg
  • 30 toes-to-bar
I remembered this workout sucks and I remembered correctly =) Three different types of squats with increasing amount of reps and decreasing load. There were kb swings, box jumps and T2B's between squats. Originally Karhureiret says the box jumps should be completed on a 50cm box but we only have 61 so that's a little extra. Then on the other hand the OHS should have been 60kg but considering my max load that would have been ridiculous to try it out with that weight. I put 40kg on the bar and started moving. In January I used only the bar (20kg) so today this workout was heavier.

I completed the back squats unbroken, kettlebells in 30 reps at first try, then 2x10reps with as little break as possible. I just needed to loosed the tension in my forearms for a few seconds. Front squats went better than last time. Now they were 7+7+6, previously I needed 4x5 sets. Box jumps, uhh. Don't remember that precisely, guess it was 15+10+ something. The overhead squats I got to do in sets of 10+7+7+6, better than I expected =) And lastly the toes-to-bars were about 10+10+5+5.

All in all, my breathing was going fast and it was an overall test to how good an all-around athlete I am at the moment. I was pleased on the way I managed to rattle through this workout. There's always something to improve on but in general this went good!

Now I'm off to Barcelona for holiday with Pauliina and her parents. Gonna enjoy the climate and the atmosphere. Of course I'm not forgetting crossfit, that's for sure but I don't believe I have access to barbells so it's gonna be more like bodyweight action, handstand push-ups etc. Like it was any easier… =) Gonna let you know anyway how I'm training.


No comments:

Post a Comment