Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday 23.5: Muscle-ups!, handstand walk, metcon

Thursday. Muscle-ups, handstand walk, running metcon: run, pull-ups, box.

I met with my bro at Kauniainen for the purpose of training two skills: muscle-ups and handstand walk. He's able to do both of them so I wanted him to teach me some tricks. I've progressed a lot with handstand but can't say I haven't even practiced muscle-ups. It has felt so desperate as I've tried to do them with the rings. Well, today we started with this skills training and then handstand, finally I took a metcon, mainly focusing on running. And the most important thing from today: I got that FIRST MUSCLE-UP!!!



Muscle-ups. 3 reps in total! We did some muscle-up progression training in the beginning, learning the swing, kip and movement of legs, the pull of the upper body. After some time I tried the first muscle-up and I got it on first try =) Couldn't be happier about a workout! Sipa said on the video that I'm gonna do the first muscle-up so that really boosted me to give my best shot.



We did these in alternating shifts, trying to cheer the other one and copying the best practices. I took another set and completed two reps in a row without dropping from the pull-up bar. That was sick. I believe this skill moved further a lot. I've been thinking about this one a lot and despite being an optimistic guy, I had some thoughts about ever completing a muscle-up. On some occasions I've tried them with the rings but it's been so far away from a successful rep that I had my doubts. However, having my bro to assist eased the path greatly. I wouldn't have been able to do this without him. Thanks a lot bro!!!




Handstand walk. For 20 minutes we practiced static handstand walk, tried to find stability and correct form. I was astounded of my brother's skills on this one, compared to previous time I saw him try handstand. The progress was huge! He was able to stand still and also walk about 10 meters with one attempt. In the end we took about 10 meters distance that we handstand walked. It took several attempts from me to finish it but I nailed it anyway.

Bro did some "wood thrusters"

Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 600m run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 box jumps

After skills training I did a metcon. Main focus was on running, added with pull-ups and box jumps. The "box" was a rock that was higher than the Rogue 24' (61cm) box. I'd guess it was around 70cm. I didn't have the timer on but I tried to go as fast as possible. Haven't been running much in the winter time, just a few times so this was a good season opener for running metcons.

The pull-ups were easy, box jumps were higher than normally but manageable. Only 50 of both of them. This was clearly concentrating in running, and it felt as difficult as it should feel at this stage of the year. I'm sure it's gonna get easier and more comfortable quite soon if I get to adjust running in my programming.

The "box"

Toni's workouts. Bench and metcon.

Bench press, random sets between 80-100kg for "warming up" for the metcon. Result 11 rounds.

  • 16 min amrap of
  • 5 deadlifts, 70kg
  • 10 push-ups
  • 15 air squats

3 comments:

  1. Awesome skill training day. Gongrats for first muscle-up. It was easy as I said beforehand;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doup, forgot to add Pony's workouts of the day earlier, now it's updated. And thanks guys, the feeling was phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete