Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday 25.11: Squats and hero workout Bradshaw

Monday. Back squats 3-3-3 (max 130kg). Hero workout Bradshaw. Time 22.43.

Couldn't let the hero workout be left alone, had to attack it. This was the one I was talking about yesterday. It's been tickling in my mind for the last couple of days and I didn't want to postpone it to the future. But, I had a dilemma. I wanted to do squats! Don't wanna skip them at all, have to do them 2-3 times a week. My legs have to become stronger and obviously they have already come. I'm still looking to get stronger on my lower body because that eases each and every movement.




Strength. Back squats 3-3-3 (120, 130, 130kg). It rolled well and it felt very good! Took some warm-up lifts @ 60, 80 and 100kg to get properly ready for the heavier squats. Usually I've put 110kg before adding it to 120kg. It was no problem to skip that and jump straight to 120kg. My squat form and technique was good in all lifts and the package stayed tight all the way. It's very promising I'm able to complete those 130kg sets without problems. It's heavy, no doubt but not too heavy. It would have been awesome to continue doing more heavy sets but there was a hero workout just around the corner. Usually I would have done just a hero wod but the last 2 days were easier ones so I wanted to do both strength and the wod.

Hero workout Bradshaw. Time 22.43. Compare to 4.5.2013.
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 3 handstand push-ups
  • 6 deadlifts, 102.5kg
  • 12 pull-ups
  • 24 double unders

That's a long one and lots of repetitions. It looks okay on paper and I really didn't feel the pain before the workout. I once again thought beforehand this would have been lighter than it actually was. It was a tough one. The handstand push-ups weren't bad, look at the number of reps. Just 30 reps in total, and only 3 reps at a time. Also, the deads were about 50% of my one rep max and the barbell was moving nicely.


Ben Smith doing a 136kg snatch


The most difficult part of the workout was the pull-ups. Doing sets of 10-12 reps shouldn't be that difficult but considering the amount of all the other work, all the other movements, it started to become heavier and heavier. The last rounds were kind of a struggle. Still, I got them unbroken till the end. I can see I've done more double unders this month than normally. The focus has been on the form and I've been trying to do them as effortless as possible, straight torso, not that high a jump, keeping the rope moving at a steady pace. I did all but 1 rounds unbroken. On that specific round I did 21 reps ub and then did a miss. That was the only stumbling during the entire wod, I finished all other movements unbroken during those 22-23 minutes.

This was about a 6 minute PR in Bradshaw. I've done it once before half a year ago and it can definitely be seen my metabolic condition has improved. That time was cut off basically from the transitions / rest periods. Of course it helps that the barbell felt lighter and the hspu's were easier as well because there's more strength now in my shoulders. It's no surprise that strength makes it easier to keep on moving in such workouts.



Rich answering to questions concerning his training methods




No comments:

Post a Comment