Friday, November 22, 2013

Thursday 22.11: Bench metcon + kb metcon

Thursday. Metcon, 50 bench press (75kg). For every racking, perform 30 air squats. Couple of hours later. Metcon, 4 rounds of: 5/5 kb clean and jerk, 15 kb swings, 15 goblet squats. Kettlebell 2 pood (32kg).

Time for the monthly bench press workout. I've did something like this earlier as well. Today it was high-rep semi-heavy bench metcon with a spice of squatting between bench. I went home, ate well, dropped Pauliina to see her friend, then wore some shorts on again and went to back yard to complete another metcon with kettlebells. Then it was time for the fourth warm meal of the day. I'm a hungry guy.

50 bench for time

Metcon. Time 15.09.

  • 50 bench press @ 75kg
  • Every time you rack the barbell, perform 30 air squats for penalty


The essence in this workout was to get a lot of repetitions at semi-heavy weights. This is about 75% of my max load. I got 10 reps on the first attempt, then 8, 6 and the rest were between 4-5 reps till the end. Every time I had to put the barbell back on the rack, I did 30 air squats and burnt my quads. This was more stressful on muscles than on breathing / metabolic condition. That's because there was a "compulsory" recovery break between the movements. I had to get some strength back on my chest / shoulders / triceps before taking another attempt on the bench.

It took me a total of 9 sets and 8x30 air squat penalties to finish the workout. That's over 3.5k bench in rather short time domain. I'm happy I got the reps done stylishly with a 75kg bar. That's heaviest I've done in high rep bench metcons.

Those squats started to make my legs feel sorry for themselves. There were 240 reps in total. The most difficult thing was to complete 30 reps in a row. About 20 reps can always be done unbroken. Adding 10 reps to that doesn't sound much but it certainly feels in lower body. It burnt my legs a lot. This 50 bench type of workout is a nice way to incorporate bench press into metcons as well. I originally took influence of this one from Blair Morrison's blog "Anywherefit". He's got some pretty spectacular workouts there.

Metcon. Approximately 12.30.

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 5/5 kettlebell clean & jerks, 32kg
  • 15 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 15 goblet squats, 32kg

Uuh mama. Looks simple, feels awful. Those goblet squats just don't feel good. I had my 2 pood kettlebell (equals to 32kg), and that's pretty much all I need for an exhausting workout. The first workout of the day concentrated more on the strength aspect so this one was more on the metabolic side of fitness. Clean & jerk with kb, then swings and finally goblet squats. That's basically a front squat, just hold the kb upside down at your chest. I did 5 c&j's both hands.


Hey c'mon, it's 7 p.m. in Finland and you can't see shit, it's the darkest time of the year as you can see :)

I was thinking about doing a 10min amrap, didn't want to stress about the minutes or rounds when I started. During the workout I realized the reps are gonna stay too low in 10 minutes so I finished 4 rounds in about 12.30. My time got slower towards the end, it got tougher on both my breathing and strength. I call this a training day, versatile stuff, body got what it hungers every day: hard work and dedication.



Impressive and consistent work from both Miranda Oldroyd and Garret Fisher on benchmark workout Fran


1 comment:

  1. I did that wod with 6 rounds and clean & jerk @ 70kg for quality. It was sick. I was totally hammered after the workout. It's not bad in the paper but those squat almost killed me

    ReplyDelete