Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thursday 7.11: Bench singles, pair wod with Pony

Thursday. Bench, 1RM (PR 102.5kg). Pair wod with Toni, 4 rounds of: 500m row / max effort double unders. Result 388 du's.

I was thinking about going for running intervals, 8 x 400m with 90sec rest between sprints. Luckily Pony said he would have a chance to come and do a workout with me. That doesn't happen too often so I definitely took it and did bench strength and a pair workout with him.




Strength. Bench press (5x60, 3x70, 2x80, 1x90, 1x95, 1x100, PR 1x102.5kg). Our goal was to find our 1 rep max load at bench. Part of this week's plan to find out the strength maxes. Want to know where I stand at 34 years. Today it was time to do bench. I got that new record in my pocket, 102.5kg, check!

We took some light weight warm-ups, doing multiple reps to get chest and shoulder muscles prepared for the upcoming challenge. I felt solid all the way to the 102.5kg rep. No problems to get the weights up. I do bench quite rarely, maybe once or twice a month so it's nice to see the results still climb up on a steady pace.

The last attempt of 105kg was far away from being completed. I guess my stomach was already full at that stage. I'm happy to the results. I was looking to get improvement on the numbers here. Toni's PR is also the same number currently.






Pair wod. Result 388 double unders, Toni 318 double unders.
  • 4 round battle of:
  • Partner 1: 500m row
  • Partner 2: max effort double unders while partner 1 rows

This was nice and tough! The point was that the other one rows 500 meters and during that time the other one completes max effort of double unders. He has to stop when the first guy finishes 500 meters on the rower. Toni challenged me to take this as a battle so it was a little fun competition at the same time. After the row, we changed turns. Total of 4 rounds, that means 2.000m row and a lot of double unders.

You can see both of our results down there. I was very solid on the pacing. My rowing was within 0.8 seconds on those 4 sets, and there was a maximum of 8 rep difference on the double unders. It felt tough already on the first round because it was almost all in type of action from the beginning.

I have to keep practicing on double under technique more. I feel like there's something I could do to improve so it wouldn't be so taxing on my body. Maybe if I wouldn't jump that high, just kept the rope moving faster and keeping my entire torso straight all the time. Got to take some video to analyze more. Haven't seen my doubles in a video in ages.

Anyway, this was a good and heavy breather. We took the transitions easily with Toni so this wasn't all action without any pauses. They were definitely needed. It was awesome to workout with this guy after a long break!

Don's result
  • 1st round: 1.41.8 and 100 du
  • 2nd round: 1.41.5 and 91 du
  • 3rd round: 1.42.1 and 100 du
  • 4th round: 1.42.3 and 97 du

Pony's result
  • 1st round: 88 du / 1.39.7
  • 2nd round: 100 du / 1.43.5
  • 3rd round: 80 du / 1.45.0
  • 4th round: 50 du / 1.42.0







No comments:

Post a Comment