Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday 17.1: Ring mu's, snatch complex, metcon of snatch, pull-ups

Friday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Snatch complex: 1 squat snatch, 1 snatch balance, 1 snatch press, 2 overhead squats. Metcon, 10-8-6-4-2 power snatch (50kg), 30-25-20-15-10 pull-ups. Time about 13.40

Yes, I got those ring muscle-ups in my program again. That turned out to be a great decision. This is my style of programming. If I have enough time to workout, I'd rather make it like this: first skills, then barbell / strength work and finish it off with a metcon. Sometimes maybe even some technique work before metcon. Love it! Today's barbell work was all about snatches and the metabolic workout itself in the end continued with snatches, added with pull-ups. Tough.

Pauliina: sunset

Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups (5 reps)
Last 2 times I performed well with muscle-ups. Before that I had a downslide for couple of training sessions. Now I'm back on track! The video I posted yesterday is simply great. Hopefully Toni is also getting his first muscle-up too. He's promised it to himself for this January. Otherwise he'll punish himself with 10k row. I believe 2k is the longest he's done this far. Hopefully we're going to here positive news after this weekend!

I took some ring row to transitions in the beginning, took couple of chest-to-bar pull-ups and was ready to go. My first attempt failed and I was like what the f..k! Decided to get my head back in the game and not get down from the first setback. Went back on the rings and managed to complete the ugliest muscle-up ever =) But I got there and that was the most important thing! My second rep was as ugly as the first one.

Ring muscle-up

At that point I decided to step up my game and understood there must better use of my hips in the transition. That turned out to be the key and the last 3 reps were much cooler versions of ring mu's. You'll see the last rep in the video.


Snatch complex.
  • 1 squat snatch
  • 1 snatch balance
  • 1 snatch press
  • 2 overhead squats

I've decided to work on my snatch technique, and especially squat version of it. In overhead squats I can go ass-to-grass but in squat snatches I feel like the path on my way down is on different tracks and I can go only at 90 degrees. It would be crucial to bounce my butt all the way to the bottom. As you can see from some of the squat snatches I tend to lean a bit forward and that hinders me to travel down correctly.

Snatch balance is a movement I've done just a couple of times and mostly with cold bar only. Going to 40-50kg forces me to push the bar upwards, even though snatch balance's idea is to just drop down as quickly as possible and not push at all. I can still do it with lighter weights but those last sets were too heavy for completing the movement as it should. Anyway, the complex was cool.





Metcon. Time 13.40
  • 10-8-6-4-2, power snatch, 50kg
  • 30-25-20-15-10, pull-ups
This was tough stuff. It was 30 power snatches and 100 pull-ups, and as a combo it ripped my palms as there was some sort of bar in my hands for the entire time. It took 13.40 to finish it. Those power snatches turned out to be challenging when high-rep pull-up scheme was mixing it up simultaneously. I did the set of 10 reps in 6+4. On the round of 8 reps, I might have done doubles. From then on it was mostly doubles and singles.

On the pull-ups I decided not to pursue the sets unbroken. That would have demolished my forearms and grip strength. So I went 20+10 in the first one, then 15+10, on the round of 20 I did 10+5+5, then 10+5 and the last set was unbroken.


Big boys attacking Cindy XXX, main site's wod some days ago


This was tough for me. Yes, it took on my breathing but mostly it crushed my forearms. At times it felt like my left forearm was so numb I couldn't have any grip on the bar for the snatches. I decided to hit this metcon yesterday evening. It sounded like a good plan in the evening but after the snatch complex I was looking at my notes like whaaaaaat… Decided to hit it anyway and it was a good one, it definitely was a metcon worth doing!


Our backyard today


No comments:

Post a Comment