Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday 19.1: Backyard wod, run, kb, burpees

Sunday. Backyard wod. 5 rounds of: run around the block, 15 kb swings (32kg), 15 burpees.

Today's workout was a bit different. We spent the day at a mall shopping with Pauliina so we didn't go to the gym at all. In the evening I went outdoors to do a metcon in the freezing weather. It was about minus 17 degrees outside so the breathing was a bit tougher than normally =) Took some strict pull-ups in the kids's swing system before starting my workout of the day.




Metcon.

  • Run around the block, about 300-400m
  • 15 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 15 burpees


It was pretty awesome to skip the regular barbell work and go outside for a different type of workout. It's been a while since last outdoor metcon. There's something cool about it. In the winter time they are a rarity because of the weather. It's no surprise it happens much more often in the summer time.




Today I ran around our our block, I would say it's around 300-400 meters, with some ups and downs, added with stairs. Kettlebells and burpees are classic stuff. Kb swings are the ultimate grip strengthener, it seems to be the toughest one when you're doing it high-rep style. Can't say 15 reps is a high rep one but it sure started to feel on my breathing.




I knocked everything unbroken and I'm sure my pace stayed quite stable on all 5 rounds. Burpees were the toughest on this one. Especially as the ground was so damned cold and my fingers were numb after 2 rounds. Breathing was heavy during the entire workout. All these 3 movements made sure that would be the case.



This was actually an awesome workout. It's easy to come up with a great crossfit workout with just your own bodyweight and if you have a kettlebell you have everything you need for a good breather. This was one good example of workout like that. I'll definitely keep on having a barbell, jump rope, box and stuff like that to add some spice to the workouts but I'm telling you, these are fabulous workouts that can be done with mere own bodyweight.


The weather was so freezing that I didn't take my cell phone with me as a timer because I bet it wouldn't work anymore =) So I have no idea how long this one took to complete. But I know I was able to keep a steady pace and comparable to each other.



2 comments: