Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Wednesday 8.1: Clean and jerk combos, 15min amrap

Wednesday. Clean and jerk complexes @ 60-70kg. Metcon, 15min amrap of: 5hspu, 10 burpees, 15 burpees. Result 6rds + 5hspu.

It was a rare moment to get Toni at the gym to workout with me and Pauliina. We didn't plan this that well beforehand so it was more like a "go with the flow" type of training. Only thing I had in mind was the amrap of bodyweight movements. Didn't want to go heavy on the barbell work so it turned out to be more like a technique training and preparing for the metcon.



Bar complexes.
  • Bear complex: power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press behind the neck
  • Bar complex: hang power clean, hang squat clean, power clean, squat clean, couple jerks

Bear complex is awesome. Got to try that one out someday. I've done it once very long time ago, don't even remember when it took place. I took it with at max 50kg, couple of sets anyway, nothing serious this time.

Then I put on 60kg on the bar - still not heavy - and started doing bar complex, i.e. performing multiple bar movements without adjusting grip at ground at any moment. The idea was to do 4 different types of cleans, then finish the set with a couple of jerks. On the cleans I used the following sequence. First 2 hang cleans, the first as power clean and the second as squat clean. The last 2 cleans were from the floor, the first one as power clean and the last one as squat clean.


Recap


On the jerks I did couple of push jerks, that is feet landing side by side together. Most of them were split jerks, that is kind of a semi-lunge with bar overhead on straight arms. I wanted to do different types of cleans and jerks with semi-light weight. All reps were @ 60kg except the last which was 70kg. I felt comfortable doing this barbell work. Most of the reps were pretty solid, few flaws in technique though.


Metcon. Result 6 rounds + 5 hspu
  • 15min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 burpees
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm

This was something sick I was able to come up with couple of days ago. The combo turned out to be a little harsh. Hspu's, burpees and box. Once you've done handstand push-ups it's always a delight to go for burpees. After them the upper body is worn out. And you've been jumping on the burpees. So it's cool to start jumping on the Rogue box after that.


The combination of these movements was tougher than they look on paper. I realized it today in a hard way. My round times turned slower by the round. I went unbroken each round. First round was about 1:30 and the last full round was almost exactly 1min slower. It was the transitions between elements that took me more time every round.

I still loved the workout. It made me cry in the very beginning, in a good way if you know what I mean. Good and painful 15 minutes of my life, worth suffering it through. Made my engine a little bit better and more efficient once again. Love the metcons! That's why I do strength training; to become more enhanced in the metcons. To being able to keep on moving no matter what movements are thrown upon me. Love crossfit!


This lift is awesome in both technique and strength




No comments:

Post a Comment