Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wednesday 22.1: pistols, pull-ups, hspu's, 5k row

Wednesday. Every minute on the minute, for 30min: 1st min 10 pistols, 2nd min 8 strict pull-ups, 3rd min 5 strict hspu. Metcon, 5k row. Time 19.06.

Today was supposed to be an easy day. Concentrating in skills with moderate heart beat, lots of reps in emom style. Then finishing the session with rowing for a longer distance to build up an effective engine further. On paper it felt like an easier one. Still, I felt like some work had been done as I finally came home.

5k row

Skills. For 30 minutes.

  • Every minute on the minute
  • 1st minute, 10 pistol squats
  • 2nd minute, 8 strict pull-ups
  • 3rd minute, 5 strict handstand push-ups
  • Repeat the cyle for a total of 30min

I told you guys lately about my thoughts about doing hspu's and pull-ups mostly as kipping versions and that it has been on my mind to do also strict versions. Today's workout was the first answer to this issue. I consider it more like a skills training. Pistols, strict hspu's and strict pull-ups. Important movements in my opinion.

This workout was emom training divided into 3 parts. It took 30 minutes in total, 10 minutes of each movement. On the first minute I did pistols squats, pull-ups on the second and hspu's on the third one. Then start over again from pistols. So there was kinda 10 rounds of all 3 movements. I had defined the number of reps beforehand, naturally.




Those reps turned out to be perfect for me. 100 pistols, 80 pull-ups and 50 hspu's. Managed to follow the original plan well. Hspu's were tough in towards the end but I got them unbroken. Pull-ups were also surprisingly tough. Having done kipping reps for a very long time, strict version seemed a bit funny to do. I used both grips, palms facing me and away from me, just to get some variation in the grip too. On 2-3 sets I completed the reps in a square-shaped pole as the pull-up bar was occupied. Of course the grip feels a bit awkward when you're used to round-shaped bar.

Pistol squats are cool. I'm very happy I can do those one-legged squats pretty well. My left leg seems slightly stronger, at least it feels like it in these pistols. I don't do these that often but I always enjoy when I incorporate them into my workouts.




Metcon. Time 19.06

  • 5k row
Have had this in mind for a while. it's the longest distance I've ever rowed in one seating. There have been times where I've done interval training for 4-6km but never have I gone over 12min or longer in a row. I turned the rower's display to face the ceiling 'cause I didn't want to stare at the digits. If it was facing me, I know I would have been looking at it all the time. How frustrating is it to see the numbers crawl forward so slowly =) So I put on some music on my iPod and enjoyed the moment. No idea how fast I was rowing. I took a first glance on the numbers at around 2.8km. The pace must not have been lightning-fast but on the last 500 meters I started to pick up on the pace. As you see from the first picture, I was doing my best in the last 100-200 meters. This was a good test for me, I wanted to know what my time would be on this distance.

Sunset from my office today



2 comments:

  1. Hyvä aika soudussa - täytyy testata ton näytön kääntämistä, sen tuijottaminen on aika murhaa..

    Toi macho man näytti aika hyvältä - täytyy testata joku päivä.

    Tsemiä!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joo kiitti Juha, sen näytän kääntäminen oli kyllä kova juttu, se on tuskasta tuijotella sitä. Kelaa sitä, että Macho Man pitäis rx'nä tehdä 84kg painoilla. Rich Froning nakutti 90 kilolla yli 20 rundii...

    ReplyDelete