Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday 7.1: Back squats

Tuesday. Back squats 1-10-1-20-1-30.

Squat day! Legs, that's where everything starts from. Don't skip a leg day. Today was hard day for lower body. Different type of squat programming than normally. Never done this kind of single versus high-rep combination. But it paid off. Heavy singles mixed with heaviest loads at 10, 20 and 30 reps. No need to go for a metcon after this.



Strength.
  • Back squats 1-10-1-20-1-30 (130, 100, 130, 90, 130, 80kg)
Definition of the workout by competitorswod: "This is six sets of back squats. One single followed by a set of 10, then another single and so on. Goal is to do the singles across and generally get yolked:"

Well, I got yolked! It was tough as hell and I literally had to lean on the rack for a while after the sets of 20 and 30 reps. I had pre-determined the weights according to my best knowledge of my current squat strength and endurance. I'm very happy I was able to hold on to those weights and didn't have to scale at any stage. And each set was as tough as it should have been. Maybe only the set of 10 reps brought some thoughts in to my head. I could have done it a bit heavier, 10 reps @ 100kg is doable any day. Don't know what effects it would have brought though on the remaining reps of the workout.



The singles weren't as tough as I thought they would be. I reckoned them to be very challenging, especially the last 2 ones. I had my baby to spot me just in case but there was no need for that. I was able to mentally prepare well enough so that I got the lifts up nicely.

Definitely the toughest sets were the sets of 20 x 90kg and 30 x 80kg. On the 90's I did 10 reps, took some more breath and fought through. It was disgusting after 15 reps, as it should be =) Had it been easier, it would not have been a good weight. I understood this was supposed to make you see the stars.


Mikko Salo's training, always so inspiring



The last set was the lightest but after all that squatting beforehand, it was the toughest. Can you imagine, only 80kg. the first 10 reps were okay. The difference to 130kg was so great that it felt light for a while. But then I took 5 reps, stopped at the top, took a couple of reps, stopped at the top, then just doubles or singles. I was done after 22 reps but somehow found the juice to keep on going. It felt awful in my legs after the last rep. Freaking awesome squat day!!!




Have to do some serious foam rolling, utilize my lacrosse ball and do lots of stretching in the evening if I wish to walk tomorrow. Go try this one! By the way, workout of the day in competitorswod included Filthy Fifty after this squat training…



No comments:

Post a Comment